Billsbro

Re: Schecter Stiletto 8 ???

Post by Billsbro »

VERY good to know. Thanks so much!
marcinkus
Veteran RRF member

Post by marcinkus »

I have D'Addario on my 8, but as said, they are a bit too stiff...
'96 4004C | '98 4003 | '00 4003vp | '05 4003 Custom | '08 4004Cii | '16 4000 Conversion
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Thanks so much!
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

I've been thinking about 8-string basses since Noel Redding used a Hagstrom 8-string in the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

My local vintage guitar shop (Lark Street Music - hi Buzzy!) has a Hagstrom and I play it sometimes when I go in there. Makes me remember why I like it so much.

And I've also thought about buying a Schecter Stiletto Studio 8. It seems to be a great low-cost choice.

Lately, I've been using an Electro-Harmonix Micro POG pedal whenever I need the upper octave in addition to the normal bass sound. I adjust its controls so that I just get the normal bass sound plus the upper octave. I set the lower octave fully off.

The Micro POG tracks flawlessly and makes no non-musical sounds at all. It's never malfunctioned. It's become an essential part of my bass setup.

Granted that it doesn't have exactly the same sound as a real 8-string, but in a band situation it's much better than "just good enough".

One of the best things about it is that I don't have to change instruments to get the sound I want - just step on the footswitch and I'm playing a fat 8-string.

In case it's not clear, I'm wild about the EH Micro POG!
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

This probably sounds like a dumb question...(never played a 8 string). What style of picking do you use playing an 8 string?
Do you more or less pluck the octaves or would you kinda strum the pair like a 12 string... or pick um one at a time. Plectrum?
(4 strings is enough for me). :D
marcinkus
Veteran RRF member

Post by marcinkus »

Well, pick is preferred ;)
'96 4004C | '98 4003 | '00 4003vp | '05 4003 Custom | '08 4004Cii | '16 4000 Conversion
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Rubsoul wrote:This probably sounds like a dumb question...(never played a 8 string). What style of picking do you use playing an 8 string?
Do you more or less pluck the octaves or would you kinda strum the pair like a 12 string... or pick um one at a time. Plectrum?
(4 strings is enough for me). :D
Using a pick gets you the most clear octave "bang",and whether i am playing a 4,or an 8-string,my pick playing style is to alternate stokes(up and down) usually,but if you want to emphazsize the fundamental strings,you can pick upstroke,etc. Tom Pettersson plays all downstrokes on his 12-string basses,and i imagine the variations are just limited to whatever it takes to get the sound you want out of it. I think i mentioned also that you can play fingerstyle,and mute the octave strings if the moment calls for it.....

Return to “The Low End”