David Eden Highwayman amp

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

David Eden Highwayman amp

Post by Kopfjaeger »

We were auditioning a potential new guitarist for our band last week so we rented time in a practice studio. The studio was geared with all sorts of high end gear. The drums were DW the guitar amps were Marshall and Peavey 5150. The bass rig was a David Eden Highwayman through two SWR 4X10 cabs. The guitarist had practiced there before and asked if I ever played through a David Eden before. When I said I had not, he said I was in for a treat.

Once I moved all the controls out of the basement to the middle to treble side and turned up the gain a little, I was blown away with the depth of sound!! After an hour I became a huge fan!! My two Rickenbacker 4003's sang through that rig!! It's a Hybrid amp head with a tube pre amp and solid state power section.

I'm an Orange guy. I love my Ad200 Mk3 but it's a boat anchor. I use my TB500 Hybrid head on pretty much everything since it's small, light, and sounds killer. I recently purchased an OB1-300 and I'm still getting use to it. It's a great versatile head but after the David Eden experience, I was wishing I had not made the purchase so i could justify picking up a used Highwayman. Anyone else play through a Highwayman and loved it?? I know very little about the company or how they are rated against other heads.

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
myrtbass

Re: David Eden Highwayman amp

Post by myrtbass »

Hi Sepp, I use an Eden Metro which is a 2 channel combo amp which has two 10"speakers and a high freq horn.Channel 1 is all solid state(FET),while channel 2 has a tube preamp.It puts out 600watts(RMS) into a 2 ohm load.It is the best bass amp I've ever owned. It has great tone shaping,and is excellent with all my basses including my 4003.Mine was built in 1998. The original company was started in Minnesota by David Nordschow. He sold it to US Music a few years ago. So i'm not sure what their new stuff is like. Their older amps were very well constructed using the best components.It might be hard to find a good old one ,cause most are "Keepers". Mine certainly is.Hope this answers your question.Very loud and very clean sounding Bass amps.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I had a WT400 years ago, essentially half a World Tour amp.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Thanks guys. Too bad they changed ownership, I'm not sure what vintage the head I played through was, I'll have to check next time I'm there. I don't see a lot for sale on the interweb. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for older ones.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Hey, I just started getting into the Eden thing, but for the real deal these days you may want to checkout DNA Amps. It's David Norchschow's new line.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Nathan,

I took a look at the DNA site. I like the cab configurations but the heads are 1350 watts. Pretty serious power. I doubt I'd need anything close to that power. My 500w heads only get open to 2 or 3 with a fair amount of gain. If DNA had a lower powered, rig, I'd drive the 2 hours to the closest dealer to give it a test drive.

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Yeah, maybe a little bit overkill. I guess a 1000 watts is the new 300.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Kiddwad57 wrote:...I guess a 1000 watts is the new 300.
That certainly seems to be the case; I guess this shows just how deaf the world has become.

Return to “The Low End”