The Hipshot Company

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

bassman4001

The Hipshot Company

Post by bassman4001 »

I have to give a shout out to Hipshot Products. I'm giving my 2012 MIM Fender Jazz Bass a 1966 make over with block inlays (okay, the newer MIM 70's block inlay necks seem to be screenings of block inlay). Seeing that Hipshot sells a Lollypop style tuner for Fender for their MIJ series from the mid 80's. I emailed them to see if they would make them for a MIM bass and they did, no extra cost and had them to me within 4 days. When they arrived, I seen that the holes of the MIM 70's neck did not match up and even drilling new holes into it to accommodate the new machines was not going to work.

I emailed Oscar from Hipshot back and explained my problem, and they are making the correct size with no extra fee except for shipping. I do have the Hipshot bass extenders on all 3 of my Fender basses and Hipshot bridges on 2 of my Ricks.

Just thought I'd share my positive experience with this company incase anyone is wondering about them or putting one of their products onto one of your basses/guitars.
woodyng

Re: The Hipshot Company

Post by woodyng »

I have their aluminum bridge,and Rick replacement tuners on my 4000,couldn't be happier. The tuners are the best on any of my 8 basses. Good to know about their customer service,although i've never had any need with my purchases.
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Great feedback!
T28

Post by T28 »

Similar story here.
Great service and products.
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

I have a Hipshot A bridge on my custom...the only gripe is that some of the edges seems sharp. But I never play that close to the bridge so it's not a big deal.

As others have said, kudos for their customer service!
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

The hipshot d-extender is useful and effective.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Kiddwad57 wrote:The hipshot d-extender is useful and effective.
Michael Manring would be lost without them! :mrgreen:
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Just dropped a Supertone bridge on my Thunderbird. Couldnt be happier.
"Knowledge is Power"
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

A little bit more on the Supertone. I've always loved my Thunderbird, but it always sounded a lot better played with a pick rather than fingerstyle. I always thought it was the nature of the beast, and have read lots of reviews stating that 'birds sound a little muddy. I installed the supertone, re-installed the same strings that were on her,tweaked the action and intonation, noodled with it a bit and put her in the case...( fast forward ).. I got her back out last Thursday, and haven't been able to set her down all weekend. :shock: I couldnt be happier! Its like a completely different bass! almost like a wet blanket was covering the tone, and now its gone. The tone, harmonics,,,everything is so much better!

I highly recommend this bridge for anyone who has a bass with the Gibson style 3-point bridge. I dont think you'll be dissapointed, thanks Hipshot for a great product. :D :D

EDIT: the best part? I got mine brand new off of amazon for $79.00 shipped. ( the only reason I bought it.) :D :D :D :D
"Knowledge is Power"
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

...and impossible to find! (BT5, for Ricks.)
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

kennyhowes wrote:
...and impossible to find! (BT5, for Ricks.)
How so? A call to Hipshot will usually get them to put something together for you. Even though their Ultralight cloverleaf tuner is my fave for Ricks, the threaded bushing that holds them on is too short for the thicker 4001/3/4 headstock, so a call to them got them to machine up longer bushings for FREE!
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Good points. I'll hit them up.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

This from Hipshot today:

"I am sorry to say that there does not appear to be enough room for a BT5 Xtender. The distance between the E and G-string tuner, needs to be about the same width as a whole tuner. This was the reason we stopped offer the BT5. We would send them and would hear that they did not fit all models."

Thoughts?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

...and I found an NOS BT5 on eBay. Please stand by.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

No way. Definitely not enough real estate on the headstock, on either a late '70s bass or a late '80s.

Return to “The Low End”