Bridge lift on the 4003S/5 SPC - advice, please!

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Ah, but all of the puns are real buttes ... you guys have me over a beryl!

(Thanks for the vote, Scott! Image)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

getting away from the puns ... let us know how the worst case of bass bridge pullup ever turns out ...
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Will do Jeff, I think I will start trying the "slow rebend by clamping" technique in the next day or two.
keb

Post by keb »

Interesting that the powder coating process affects the strength of the bridge metal. From what I've noticed over time, the black bridges seem more likely to lift than the chromed ones. I know the black bridge on my own 4003 was suffering from lift. Image I've added the two extra screws to hold it down.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Gary ... you might have to put in a couple of neck bolt screws to hold that tailpiece down securely ... I can modify a normal ric tailpiece to be almost identical to that one and you can send it out to be black powder coated and install it ... and I can modify an allparts tailpiece as well ...
marc61

Post by marc61 »

" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

I'd be into that too!
Plus five minus five!
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

virtually impossible to convert that.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

it can be done and I was talking with hipshot about getting a base casting to work with ... but I already worked out a system that works with an allparts tailpiece ...
marc61

Post by marc61 »

It would be nice to do with the hipshot because it's a much stronger tailpiece. Heavy though.
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I would have to get a blank without the holes drilled and then have my machinist make custom saddles ... it would cost about $200 or more each to do some of those ... but ya ... they would be cool ... or it would be better if hipshot made a 5 string version ... maybe a bunch of us can all request them so there is enough demand for the 5 string version ...

also the Kahler adjustable 5 sting bridge could work ... I use them on my 2030 4-2-5 basses sometimes ... the really add sustain more than any other birdge that I have used ...
kcole4001

Post by kcole4001 »

I really like the similarity of the Hipshot to the original Rick piece.
Plus five minus five!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

O.K., back on topic.

I have started the rebend procedure. This all started yesterday (November 2nd).

I was uncomfortable doing the procedure with the tailpiece on the guitar, so I took the tailpiece off and mounted it to a scrap piece of wood:

I measured the lift to be 32 mm on the left and 33 mm on the right. I then clamped the tailpiece and applied some pressure:

Today, the lift was around 14 mm on the left and 15 mm on the right when I measured it earlier this evening, so it seems to be working.

I was not happy with the way the tailpiece was resting on the wood, so I took the set-up apart and chiseled out a space similar to the rout on the guitar so that the tailpiece would lie flat as it should. It is now clamped up again, and I will report on my progress tomorrow.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

damn ... that looks like it was rear ended by a mack truck ...
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Maybe a previous owner had all the strings tuned an octave higher. Image

I guess it could have been worse - if the neck had been the part not able to take the tension!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”