The Byrds on VHS or DVD ???

Those who flock to The Byrds
tim
Veteran RRF member

Post by tim »

Definitely worth buying (It cost me about £14 by mail order). The live tracks by the CRY band are very good (my favourite is their version of "It's All Over Now Baby Blue sung by John York). As a bonus, it includes some Byrds' TV clips. The highlight (from my point of view) is the alternate version of "The Times They Are A Changing". It makes me wonder if this track was intended to be the third Byrds' single?
The Searchers are the best!
rob320

Post by rob320 »

The Byrds "Never to be forgotten" DVD is pretty good.I particularly like the 1986 live version of "Turn Turn Turn" as the drummer on the intro appears not sure which song he's playing
s_gunderson
Veteran RRF member

Post by s_gunderson »

Several years ago I bought a video off ebay entitled 'Byrds Compelation'. This is a string of Byrd's performances including the Ed Sullivan show, Shindig, Monterey, and the Fillmore East. I occasionaly see this for sale to the present day. I paid $20 for it. I think this video was put together by some Byrds fan, and is not for sale by any video/DVD company.
I shamelessly live for RIC and Roll
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

I just watched the Byrds performance on the Complete Monterey Pop DVD the other day. It was interesting - definitely worth watching - but it was a bit of a let down.

Roger doesn't speak at all between songs, only Crosby talks - and man, you can tell why they kicked him out of the band a few months later! So arrogant and obnoxious.

I have to say, "Your Mother gets high and you don't even know it!" has become one of my favorite sayings in the last week. Mostly to annoy my girlfriend.

Seeing Roger with a Gretsch during Hey Joe was intersting because it just looked all wrong. That man needs a Rick in front of him.

And to be fair, Crosby is pretty great with Buffalo Springfield. It's clear his heart was with Stills and not McGuinn.
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

I just watched the Byrds performance on the Complete Monterey Pop DVD the other day. It was interesting - definitely worth watching - but it was a bit of a let down.

Roger doesn't speak at all between songs, only Crosby talks - and man, you can tell why they kicked him out of the band a few months later! So arrogant and obnoxious.

I have to say, "Your Mother gets high and you don't even know it!" has become one of my favorite sayings in the last week. Mostly to annoy my girlfriend.

Seeing Roger with a Gretsch during Hey Joe was intersting because it just looked all wrong. That man needs a Rick in front of him.

And to be fair, Crosby is pretty great with Buffalo Springfield. It's clear his heart was with Stills and not McGuinn.
beefandbones
Intermediate Member

Post by beefandbones »

...And last night, I rented some old episodes of Hullabaloo. Michael Landon hosted, and he even sang 'I Like it Like That!' It was so corny. But fun. And in color.

Anyway, the original five man lineup of the Byrds sang The Times They Are A-Changin on a marshy set, surrounded by girls dressed up as duck hunters. Then, later, in the 'Top Pop' segment, they Byrds sang a bit of the Lovin Spoonful's Do You Believe in Magic.
chingnchime

Post by chingnchime »

I just saw a BYRDS RARITIES COLLECTION DVD on ebay. It's a compilation of TV appearances that runs 80 minutes. Only trouble is the seller only takes Paypal, who screwed up my account last year, so i refuse to use them. Is anyone aware of it being sold elsewhere/ i did a search and couldn't come up w/ anything.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

this double dvd set may be of interest to some here 4 tracks by Roger McQuinn recorded in 1988 at the Rock Palace in Florida.

1 Don't Want You No More - Spencer Davis
2 Rock Around The Clock - The Comets
3 The Bristol Stomp - The Dovells
4 Little Town Flirt - Del Shannon
5 Tiffany Queen - Roger McGuinn
6 Tragedy - Brian Hyland
7 Teenage Crush - Tommy Sands
8 Corinna Corinna - Ray Peterson
9 Sweet Pea - Tommy Roe
10 Keep On Runnin' - Spencer Davies
11 Lightning Strikes - Lou Christie
12 Turn, Turn, Turn - Roger McGuinn
13 Twistin' USA - The Original Juniors
14 Walkin' With My Angel - Bobby Vee
15 Graduation - Tommy Sands
16 Suzi Q - Johnny Thunder
17 Mr Tambourine Man - Roger McGuinn
18 Two Faces Have I - Lou Christie
19 Peggy Sue - The Crickets
20 Joker Went Wild - Brian Hyland
21 Handyman - Del Shannon
22 Rubber Ball - Bobby Vee
23 Stormy Monday - Wolfman Jack
24 I'm A Man - Spencer Davies Group
25 I'm Afraid To Go Home - Brian Hyland
26 Runaway - Del Shannon
27 Rockin' Robin - Rockin' Robin Band
28 Goin' Steady - Tommy Sands
29 One Track Mind - Bobby Lewis
30 Mr Space Man - Roger McGuinn
31 Ginny Come Lately - Brian Hyland
32 Dreamy Eyes - Johnny Tillotson
33 You Can't Sit Down - The Dovells
34 Devil Or Angel - Bobby Vee
35 Alimony - Frankie Ford
36 Loop De Loop - Johnny Thunder
37 Hey Let's Twist - Joey Dee
38 Sealed With A Kiss - Brian Hyland
39 Somebody Help Me - Spencer Davis
40 Hat's Off To Larry - Del Shannon
41 The Way I Walk - Jack Scott
42 The Night Has A Thousand Eyes - Bobby Vee
43 Hula Love - Buddy Knox
44 That'll Be The Day - The Crickets
TODAY'S THE FIRST DAY OF THE REST OF YOUR LIFE
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It looks to have been quite a show. Thanks Roy. I did not know that Del Shannon had recorded Handyman.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
customxke

Post by customxke »

I have the "Beat Club" DVD mentioned earlier in this thread (Black Mountain Rag, Chesnut Mare, Rock n Roll Star, EMH), and was wondering if anyone knows whats sticking out of McGuinn's soundhole?.....Looks like a spoon or something. Perhaps he and Clarence were going to eat some hearty beef and vegetable soup after the taping?
ibmindless

Post by ibmindless »

ROY: What's the title of that double-DVD??? That's quite an interesting collection. Can you share any more details?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes Mark it is called Juke Box Revival - Rock and Roll. Quality is excellent. I have since been informed by an associate of Bobby Vee's that none of the artist's received any money and technically he cites it as a bottlog. I however bought this from a retailer who is probably totally unaware. It is certainly not bootleg quality.Some from Us have contacted me and asked me to get them copies which of course I have done, they seemed happy with the set. Regretfully postage to US puts price up but in £ sterling to US £16.99. You may find a copy in Walmart though.
ibmindless

Post by ibmindless »

THANKS ROY for sharing that. I remember all of those artists and how Bobby Vee did an album (or two?) with The Crickets. Guess I'll have to scour some Walmarts.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

think Bobby only did one album with The Crickets and strangely was the first album I ever bought.

Bobby Vee Meets the Crickets. Came out on CD a while back with bobus tracks.
ibmindless

Post by ibmindless »

Well, if my memory is still alive, I believe that was the first album I ever bought, as well. I think my second album was Bobby Vee's 15 Greatest Hits.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”