Reunited...and it feels so good.

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Reunited...and it feels so good.

Post by loendmaestro »

FINALLY got my 1974 4001 back from my luthier after it's 400,000 mile overhaul. (Don't ask how long it was actually gone....) Had the .0047 cap removed, bridge p/u rewound by Lindy Fralin & some other assorted work done. Remember - the worst thing that you can do is tell your luthier "Take your time on this one." He does excellent work though & did turn around 2 of my other basses in a week for an show of mine that came up really quick.

The 4001 sounds fantastic! I really missed that bass.

Anyhow, here's an updated family portrait. It's not a Paul Yan quality photo, but gets the point across.

1974 4001
1978 3001
2003 4003
2001 Gibson Thunderbird
1988 Fender Jazz (w/ DiMarzios & slightly modded)

rictified

Post by rictified »

Nice thunderbird, how's it play and sound? I've always wanted one of those.

BTW, Where has Paul Yan been?
jnbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by jnbass »

where in the world is Paul Yan?
Buy it before someone else does
lowendbob
Advanced Member

Post by lowendbob »

Chris, nice color combo on the Fender jazz. I sold my 75 RI a few months ago, now I'm wanting another jazz bass.
Buy it before someone else does.
loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Post by loendmaestro »

Love that T-bird...BIG sound. Lotsa *** end, but plenty o'punch too. A ***** to hit the upper register because of the cutaway, but a great bass.

Funny thing about the jazz bass, I've been playing it a lot lately. I'm working with this singer/songwriter chick & there's just times that a Fender is what you need...

I recently put that tortoise shell pick guard & tele knobs on it. It's a great basher bass.
lshaia
Veteran RRF member

Post by lshaia »

I found a NOS T-Bird this past April, what a fantastic bass! Chris, you were one of the guys who convinced me that I had to have one, thanks! Now if you could just point me in the direction of a stand that will work with it ...
Paul has been on an extended business trip, he should be back soon.
loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Post by loendmaestro »

Congrats on the T-bird...they're great huh?!

I really wish I had gone with the natural finish on mine...yours is beautiful.

As for stands? Good luck...
I usually just keep mine in the case, but at practice I use one of those double stands with the t-back thingy. You can adjust them so they're real tall & you won't scrape the butt end of the bass. I don't like leaving it on there for a long time because all of the weight is supported by the neck/headstock & those necks are disturbingly thin. I guess that's why most of the old ones on ebay have the dreaded words "headstock repair".

Nice score Lindsay, enjoy it!

Somebody say hi to Paul for me.
lshaia
Veteran RRF member

Post by lshaia »

Thanks, Chris, it's everything you said it would be and more. I really like the natural finish, too bad Gibson discontinued it. Incidently, mine's an '01, too; Musician's Friend sat on it for four years then dumped it when the finish was discontinued. Right place at the right time, I guess.
shinynewtoy
Intermediate Member

Post by shinynewtoy »

I've been intrigued by T-birds ever since I saw Mike Watt use one, and then found out he recorded much of one of his solo records with one. While I definitely prefer the Minutemen to anything Watt's done since, the bass tone on the record I'm talking about was incredible.
What do you mean the Bass is too loud???
rictified

Post by rictified »

I've always wanted one since I saw one at a local music store on the counter when I was a kid, it was probably 1966-67, and it was kind of a sunburst, I thought it was the coolest looking bass I had ever seen, it was in for a repair and would have been way out of my price range anyway.
seth_lorinczi

Post by seth_lorinczi »

Speaking of Thunderbirds....

Really wish I had before/afters. You would not BELIEVE how abused this bass once was.

loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Post by loendmaestro »

Nice color...
What is that? A 76-79?

How bad was it? Busted headstock too?
seth_lorinczi

Post by seth_lorinczi »

Thanks, it's a '77. In the process I learned Pelham Blue was also an early '60s Cadillac color....

Yes, headstock was busted (though that was repaired long ago). The finish was BURNED off the guitar with a blowtorch. The guitar was spraypainted black and red. A Fender-style bridge was NAILED to the body.
loendmaestro
Intermediate Member

Post by loendmaestro »

Jesus...that's what I call a labor of love.
Nicely done...
seth_lorinczi

Post by seth_lorinczi »

Hey, thanks! Actually, I'm now considering selling it. It's such a cool instrument, but I'm not sure when I'm really going to use it. Too many Rickenbackers!

Return to “The Low End”