Greg Feo Loses Collection in LA Fire

Off Topic discussion forum

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks Mike for bringing this to our attention. My thoughts and prayers go out to Greg and his family. It could have been worse. Thank God it was not. Possessions can be replaced important people in our lives can't.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

I am so sorry to hear about this.... Greg, I will echo the sentiments of all of us here: You are in our thoughts and prayers! What a heartbreaking loss... Image

I am thankful that you and your wife are okay, and hope that you get back on your feet soon.
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Greg, my heartfelt sympathy, it is a strong man that has to carry such a heavy weight. Anything I can do to help, please let me know. Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife.
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

Mike et al,

Don Butler's started a collection for Greg and his family as far as monetary "relief". He's using his PayPal account for people to donate to. Here's is his posting ont he Beat Gear Cavern for those who haven't or don't go there:

"I just spent the last 45 minutes talking with Greg (@ 11:30 at night) He lost over 125+ guitars & basses, all his Vox, Selmer & Fender amps and just about any other make of amp he had. He's extremely lucky not to have been killed himself as while he was trying to grab stuff the windows in the house were blowing out from the heat and thick black smoke filled the house in seconds. He saved his dogs but not his birds. He couldn't get to them in time. He said the fire moved so fast that it was on him in an instant. He singed his eyes and hair. He's lucky he didn't succumb to the smoke and die .

He has his wife, dogs and a few instruments but nothing else!! Here's the really sad part.. he's been trying for months to get homeowner's insurance but because of where they live they haven't been able to get it due to the canyon and heavy brush location. So Greg and the Mrs. have no way to recoup anything. They might be able to get some FEMA $$ but with all that's happened down South it will take ages.
I am proposing we set up an benefit or fund for Greg & Carrie to help them get their life started up again after this horrible event.

I will put up $200.00 from my own pocket (believe me I wish it was $200.K!) but that is all I can afford at the moment. If someone wants to cordinate this that would be great, or I will be happy to collect whatever anyone can spare either with money or clothes or whatever and make sure that Greg & Carrie get all of it.

My email is: de1b@earthlink.net or phone: 661.259.4544. however, I will not be at home tomorrow(Thursday) as I have rehearsals all day and evening that are un-avoidable with us going out the end of next week with a new show.
If someone else wants to pickup the proverbial ball and run with it then by all means do so, but let's be united on whatever we do. Remember this is for the Feo's! So be generous! Greg has always been very generous to me and I consider him a true brother!
To Greg; Hi! Hope you don't mind me posting this but I love ya and want to help you two out!!"

Greg was able to save his ultra rare '61 Hofner lefty cavern bass and I believe a few of his other basses.
FabGear Custom Guitars, Relics and Replicas
Public Albums: www.photobucket.com username: fabgear, password: fabguest
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

Don also posted this:

"Since I started this I will accept responsibility to get this going. I will post twice a week the amount received and 100% of it will go to Greg and if you want to add 3% to what you donate that would be great. 3% is what PayPal charges me for my business account. The fee sucks but I know of no other way at this time to do something instant for Greg & Carrie.
My PayPal ID# is: de1b@earthlink.net
Make sure you put "Contributions for Greg Feo" in the header or notes on the transaction. Put yourself in Greg & Carrie's position. They have lost everything they own. All they were able to get out was a few papers, his Grandmother's jewlery, about 20 guitars & basses and the clothes on their backs. He lost one of their three cars.
Greg has been very nice to me over the years and has brought me many amps and guitars to work on and never comes empty handed either. He usually brings me at least a nice "Rock Star" drink in the tall can. the photo of me in my avatar Greg took of me playing in Cleveland in 2003 and is one of my favourite photos. I feel this is the least I can do for him. I know he feel heartbroken and helpless but let's show him how much we all love him!
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!"

As of 9:59PM ESTtonight, Don posted this:
"Thank you all so much. So far today I've collected $627. for Greg & Carrie. I told Greg and he was practically in tears over everyone's generosity. I'm going to give that to him tomorrow.
Thank you all and please those of you that can, weather it's just even five or ten bucks, any amount will really help them. I'm really proud of everyone that has reached out today so far. I'm going to try, if they let us up, go over to his home and see what we can salvage tomorrow.
Thank you all again!!!!!!!!!!!
Love you all!
Don"
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I spoke to Don last night and he is a very good friend of Greg's. I made a contribution yesterday. This money will go directly to Greg immediately. Any donations will greatly be apprecaited. You can place a message in the paypal 'notes' field to Greg & Carrie and Don will make sure that those sentiments will get to them. Thank you!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
fabgear
Veteran RRF member

Post by fabgear »

Here's some more info:

"Hi Guys! If you would rather send a check then make it out to: "Greg Feo" and I will get it to him.If you want to donate any other items feel free to send them here and I'll get those to Greg as well. We're all in this world together and the best thing we can do is to help our friends and extended families. Love Unites us All!
My address is:
Don Butler/Toneman
23040 Hilse Lane
Newhall, Ca. 91321-1009 "

Also, regarding the clothing etc:
"Here is the list I got from Greg and Carrie this evening...They are very Thankful to everyone here at the BGC.
Greg
shoe/sneakers...11
jeans/pants...38x32
t-shirts/sweat shirt...2xx
shirt...17 1/2 34/35
also socks,underware and any other articles you can think of.

Carrie

shoe/sneakers...6 1/2
pajamas,t-shirts,socks,slippers
her sizes are juniors(large) or misses(small)
Carries pant size is a 7 junior

They could also use luggage or duffle bags.
Toothpaste,mouthwash,deodorant,hairspray,gel,and any other daily used items that you can think of.
ship to:

Greg &Carrie Feo
9909 Topanga Canyon
pmb#261
Chatsworth,Ca. 91311

That is Gregs mailing address in the Canyon.They don't have a mail box at their home so they always have to pick it up at the Office.This is the normal everyday address.
Thanks,
Tony C "
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Man, as I was leaving for work this morning, the smell of smoke thick in the air, the news radio was announcing the fact that only one house had been lost, and in it were over 100 vintage guitars. Thankfully, no lives lost.

My wife and I are relatively close by, if Greg and Carrie need a meal, shower, storage, anything. Email offline if I can help.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Thanks a lot, Jerry! I will let him know.
route66guitars

Post by route66guitars »

At least three homes have been destroyed.

I know several people who were part of the manditory evacuation, including Elliot Easton (who also has a substantial collection...) I 'm still wating to hear whether everything is o.k.

Unfortunately, when you live in the hills you have to clear the brush near your home. Fire dept. reports are that the houses lost weren't cleared properly.

I hate to point it out, but Greg is wealthy. It's a tragic loss, and I'm glad he and his wife are o.k., but there are tens of thousands of people homeless all over the south at the moment thanks to the hurricanes who don't have the money for a hotel room or their next meal. Send donations to the Red Cross...
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

I thought it important to port this message from Greg on the other thread named "How is Greg Feo Doing."

Greg writes:

Mr.J
Nobody missed, or misread your point ( all wrong BTW).

Noone wants to be liked by your sort anyway !

You need to get some help & are the one who really needs some help/counseling here. This is obvious to the entire music community at large.You are a bad joke to me, done , over out of site TOTALLY out of mind.

Though you are shunned by so many already (now more than ever)in the real world, we know to pray for our enemies. Let these be the last words I EVER say to you. Sleep tight.

We will pray for you.

Peter, Again I thank you for this Forum...maybe we will get to talk / meet someday.? Such a great Forum where Freedom of speech and the 1st Amendment of the Constitution is championed daily! Keep it up man.
Mike G,Don , Zeke, too many to mention..you know who you are.THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH for your prayers and donations. It is overwhelming. EVERYONES prayers and good thoughts have TRAVELED TO US. We feel it minute by minute.!
The good vibes are all around us ALL the time, and we are doing as well as can be expected.It SO outweighs pety envy by one little spec of dirt.

We are truly "starting over" in the words of the late great John Lennon.

With and from the ENTIRE The BeatGearCavern ( where I hang my hat, and call home, another very happy happy place)) where the whole outpouring really started.So many thanks to Tony Capizzi, Joe Baiardi( who began threads while the house was ABLAZE)..Don Butler,of course! Mark Barnes (Administrator there),Mark Johnson ,1964 the Tribute ,Mark, The Return, FabFour ,Ardy, Bill,Carlo,Frank ,Pat, Micky, Craig, the upcoming Benefit Concerts, and all associated , from the Red Cross to the LA/ Ventura Co. Firefighters who risk there lives daily...THANK YOU ALL! Again there are so so so many good people out there outweigh the few bad seeds.I better stop because the list is about 500+ names long to the umph degreee.ANywho, what started is like a snowball, and we thank you as we roll with the punches . You are all keeping our spirit upbeat during this...what love really can do...and still are. BGC a phenomenal Forum a family of Brothers & Sisters.Not a plug just a fact.

Please don't get me wrong..The World IS still watching every step we take (though they be small ones)as this continues to unfold!

Lastly ..publicly ..it has been a very long time...I want to say to Nick Thiel..I got your emails and heard you even started a thread on Voxtalks..thanks you so much dude.!I pray, hope now that our differences, are now, just that. I look forward to talking to you some day with our heads up. May be be friends agin..maybe a brewsky? Who knows.

To sum it up..
There is a silver lining after all eh?

Y'all ARE the "Wind beneath our Wings"

Sincerely

Greg Feo

Return to “The Others: by CJ Johansson”