"Thoughts And Words"

Those who flock to The Byrds
craviola990

"Thoughts And Words"

Post by craviola990 »

I may be alone here, but always thought that this was one of Chris' finest songs (Maybe a little heavy on the backwards stuff), and for years, never made it to any complilations, greatest hits, etc. Any thoughts here? Thanks! Christian
37012mgvp
Veteran RRF member

Post by 37012mgvp »

I've always thought it's a great song, and it shows Hillman's versatility in songwriting styles. If you look at his contributions to the Younger than Yesterday album, he clearly comes away as the MVP on that one. He was not in Gene Clark's league as a songwriter yet, but he could definitely jump styles and demonstrate great musicianship on top of that. Hillman may have been one of the fathers of the country-rock movement, but he could write psychedelic songs with the best of them. Incidentally, Christian, I got some amusement from another thread in which you said you had the whole "She Said, She Said" cast of characters running through your mind when you met McGuinn. I had similar thoughts in the same situation, and the really interesting thing is that I have met 3 out of the 5 guys you mentioned (Fonda in 1975, Cros in 1998, & McGuinn in 2003). I got Crosby's autograph, and McGuinn signed the pickguard for my Mapleglo 370/12 with vintage pickups. I have yet to see and meet Hillman, though. If he ever plays in Texas, I'll be there.
craviola990

Post by craviola990 »

GREAT story Jeff!! Chris had a great McCartneyesque "Chameleon Thing" for sure, and really did rise to the occasion on "Younger", to be sure. I wholeheartedly agree with you about Gene's songwriting; incredible!! There's a pretty nice Gene Clark group on yahoo; lots of good conversation, etc. Christian
budrocket

Post by budrocket »

Hillman's bass work on the whole YTY album is pretty phenomenal too, a real leap forward from what he had been doing previously. The bassline on Renaissance Fair, including that little 8 note solo he takes in the breakdown, is worth the price of admission alone. He's definitely a hero of mine.

bw
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."
craviola990

Post by craviola990 »

Renaissance Fair! What a nice one; very progressive bass line. Thanks for the reminder on that Buddy! Great to be able to talk Byrds with you guys. Must have been quite leap going from mandolin to the bass! Christian
budrocket

Post by budrocket »

Nah, he was a bluegrass boy, he knew what it was supposed to do, & knew how to play guitar, so it wasn't that much of a leap...it ain't brain surgery.

bw
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

...and no one is mentioning the hot basswork on Everybodys Been Burned?Some of the best use of a P Bass ever recorded.IMO

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”