Crosby On Pepper?

Those who flock to The Byrds
craviola990

Crosby On Pepper?

Post by craviola990 »

Hi Guys- Somebody here might know the answer on this one: Came across that picture from Derek Taylor's book "It was 20 years ago today" over at the Byrdmaniax yahoo group, showing The Cros in the studio with John, Paul, & George (He is without headphones, ironically) Can anyone confirm or deny that he is on any finished track on Sgt Pepper? Always wondered this. Thanks! Christian
budrocket

Post by budrocket »

Nope, but Nesmith was in the studio with them for the orchestral overdub on "Day In The Life."

bw
"The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face."
37012mgvp
Veteran RRF member

Post by 37012mgvp »

If you watch the Beatles Anthology clip, it looked like Nez was wearing some funky boots that Sly Stone could appreciate! I've got the Nez bio, "Total Control", and it devotes a few pages to that time period, when the Nesmiths were visiting with the Lennons. It's very interesting how the Beatles were so gracious towards the Monkees, despite all the Prefab backlash in the musical community at the time. I think the Beatles should be commended for taking the time to recognize the talents of the Monkees and form friendships with them. Cros definitely didn't hold a grudge against the Monkees, and his friendship with Peter Tork right after his Byrds exit proves that point. Cros was quite the rock'n'roll gadfly back in the day.
craviola990

Post by craviola990 »

Michael Nesmith is my FAVOURITE male vocalist. PERIOD. Peter Thorkleson, who was cast as idiot Peter Tork on the TV show, is (And was then) a very talented multi-instrumentalist. Not bad for someone who doesn't play his own instrument. I wish I could get more info on Crosby on Peper, though!!! Thanks, Christian
budrocket

Post by budrocket »

janglebox

Post by janglebox »

I wish I could get more info on Crosby on Peper, though!!!
Based on the fact that Crosby mentions nothing about playing on Sgt. Pepper in his 1988 autobiography, I think it's safe to say he wasn't on the album.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

RE: Cros definitely didn't hold a grudge against the Monkees

I relaize that DC didn't write Rock and Roll Star but wasn't that song a direct slap against the whole idea of a corporate creation of a TV rock group?

Peter Tork was here in concert about a year and a half ago and I missed him. My bad.
craviola990

Post by craviola990 »

Yes. If you listen carefully to "So You Want To Be A Rock & Roll Star" with headphones, you can hear a girl say "The Monkees" about 3 or 4 times. The screams are either from a Monkees or Byrds concert; I've heard both. Hugh Masekela on the horns of course. Thanks! Christian
budrocket

Post by budrocket »

> wasn't that song a direct slap against the
> whole idea of a corporate creation of a
> TV rock group?

Certainly that was part of it, but don't forget by 1967 there were scads of records that had been put out to exploit Beatlemania & the ensuing "teen beat boom"...not just all the rock bands that came out right after the Sullivan show (Blue Things, Beau Brummels, Remains, etc. etc.) but also including quickie cash-in's & general weirdness by Mae West, Mrs. Miller, cleverly misleading albums of SONGS BY THE BEATLES ("by The Bugs" -- in extremely small print), Alvin & the Chipmunks, TV stars trying to cash in, Chet Atkins' "Beatle Beat," etc. etc., to say nothing of all the faux-psychedelic cash-in gobbledegook that was just about to flood the shops in '67 - '68.

So it was a snarky comment on the whole exploitation scene.

According to Jim Dickson & Derek Taylor those were "good British screams" taped from one of the Byrds UK concerts.

bw
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

RE: Hugh Masekela on the horns of course.

Yes indeed! He also got on stage and played R&R Star with them at Monterey.
simer4001
Veteran RRF member

Post by simer4001 »

What I had heard was that The Beatles respected the Monkees ability to do a television show week in and week out.
LET THE WORLD KNOW YOU WANT PAUL TO BRING BACK THE 4001. JOIN OUR FACEBOOK GROUP!! http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=147641915268984

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”