Massive bass clunker

Those who flock to The Byrds
stubby
Intermediate Member

Post by stubby »

One of the endearing thing about some Dylan flubs is that he laughs at them as he's singing them and the laughing at his own stumbles are kept too!
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

It's kind of funny how, from the mid 60s to the late 70s, acts went from putting out loads of flubs to tracking for months on end, maybe as they realized rock records had longevity (that or the partying in the studios was too good to limit to a few weeks.) When Fleetwood Mac made Rumors, they actually wore out the master drum tracks and ended up having to use a copy of it that their producer made early on, when mix time came around. It had to be kind of weird for Dylan during those first few electric sessions as he was coming from the folk field, and as a solo artist as well. Nothing against Bloomfiled or Cooper but I bet he would have made even better recordings had he been working with the Band in '65.
This is off the record
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

I think the reason Fleetwood Mac or the Eagles never really appealed to me was because their recordings were just too flawless. I recognize the writing and performing talent in both bands was upper echelon, but dang, the playing and production was just so deliberate, it didn't touch me. I embraced punk when it tried to shake things up, even though most punk songs sucked.
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Absolutely. If anything, because of tech and whatnot, it got even worse in the 80s. At least, even though that stuff from the 70s supergroups is played to death, it has a certain analog/real instrument feel that was lost later on.

The tune on Blonde on Blonde with near endless bass clunkers is Visions of Johanna.
This is off the record

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”