What are your favorite recordings with a Ric bass?

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rictified

What are your favorite recordings with a Ric bass?

Post by rictified »

I thought that this might be an interesting topic, a Ric bass always catches my ear (and always has, even before I knew they existed) and I always scan everything I read about music for Ric basses. First of all, most of my bass influences are from the 60's and early 70's so obviously the songs I like are maybe older than many peoples' are here.
McCartney was my first and biggest influence, I can remember playing along with late Beatles albums with my 71 P bass wondering why I couldn't get that great sound he had, I found out later: Ric bass. I do not know if a definitive compilation of Beatles songs and the instruments used on so and so track exists so I will have to use my ears for this one, but two of my favorite Ric bass songs are: Helter Skelter, and The Ballad of John and Yoko, both by The Beatles. As I said before I cannot prove that McCartney used his Ric on these but I think anyone familiar with the various sounds you can get from a Rickenbacker bass will agree that these are Ric bass songs. I also like the whole Deep Purple Machine head album for it's bass sound. There many others that I like but that's it for now. Oh yeah, Roundabout (Yes) really caught my ear also, that is when I first heard about Ric basses.
flashbackphil

Post by flashbackphil »

I just happen to be listening to Tales From Topographic Oceans as I read your message. What a great bass sound. What a great bass player. Yes!

They're on tour pretty soon, in fact maybe they are at the moment, but they're in England pretty soon I think. Not only with Chris Squire but with all the original line up. I hope to get to hear that bass in Nottingham. I don't suppose they'll be playing Tales From Topographic Oceans though. It's not everybody's favourite!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Some of my favorite Ric sounds are on the albums Renaissance did in the '70s; Jon Camp's playing is very melodic and his tone is my favorite. Mike Rutherford's tone on Genesis' "Selling England By The Pound" is also something I strive for.
ojobob2
Veteran RRF member

Post by ojobob2 »

Jon Camps Rick is for sale on ebay UK
The email address shown is down, you can email me at septic_bullfrog@yahoo.co.uk
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That would be nice to have for it's history as Renaissance is probably my all time favorite band. Being in the USA how do I go about getting to the UK ebay site?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I found the post for Jon's bass, very tempting although it has been modified since I saw the bass in action in '79.
gpatt5762
Veteran RRF member

Post by gpatt5762 »

Pushing a Rick thru stage tube amplification always does it for me. That known, my top three recorded Rick bass sounds would be:

1) Yes - BBC Sessions
2) RUSH - Different Stages @ Hammersmith Odeon 1978
3) RUSH - Exit, Stage Left

Garry
The ideal mix leaves the bass player louder than the rest of the band put together!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

My faves.....
1)Does It Really Happen-Yes
2)Cinderella Man-Rush
3)Silly Love Songs-Wings
....thought I'd throw that last one in there just for grins. As flat wound Ricky bass riffs go, it's one I always end up playing at a jam session.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

My own standouts:

Yes--the entire 'Yes Album' and 'Fraglie'---both benckmarks IMO.

Rush--the 'Hemispheres' album...'Freewill', 'Subdivisions', 'The Analog Kid'---and more.....
basshawk
Veteran RRF member

Post by basshawk »

Chris Squire 'Fish Out of Water', great bass leads on that one, no guitar. 'Fragile' of course. Glenn Hughes used a Ric when I saw Trapeze back in the mid '70s, but I don't know what studio albums he used it on.
Oh yea, John played the bass on 'Ballad of John and Yoko', plus all the guitars. Paul played the drums.
Randy.
Is everybody ready?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

'Last Tango' by Esperanto (1975), 'Kimono My House' by Sparks (1974) and a few further ones, including Yes, of course.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

If you like Chris Squire check out 'Keys To Ascension'. Its a live CD put out by YES back in 1996, and is produced extremely well. Its Squire at his best.
"Knowledge is Power"
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

How about Red Barchetta ... Geddy seems to sound his best with a Ric ... but then again he sounds good playing anything ...

a great Chris Squire early Yes track ... Astral traveler ... listen to the tone as he goes up the neck .... pure Rickenbacker tone ... I think he may have been using a Ric amp back then ...
dave4004
Veteran RRF member

Post by dave4004 »

Still my favorite after all these years: Dick Roby, The Castaways, "Liar, Liar"

Smithereens "Especially for You" and "Green Thoughts"
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

That grunt that comes out of the speakers as Squire starts up on "Yours is no disgrace" from "The Yes Album"...The first time I,d heard a Yes track, and probably still my favourite bass sound from him today...Although,there are a lot of others from the Squire that come very close..

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”