Temple Street Scape

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
admin
Site Admin

Temple Street Scape

Post by admin »

I have been searching for photos and descriptions of Temple Street for the past few years and have come across only a few images of the street as it appeared during the days of the Iron Door Club. I am convinced that there are photos that are in closets and drawers in Liverpool and farther afield. One of my more interesting finds is from some research I was able to arrange at the William Brown Street Library in Liverpool which uncovered a single photo.

I am wondering Geoff, it you could give us a description of the street, making comment on some of the important landmarks of the day.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Post by 13_temple_street »

Temple Street is in the commercial district of Liverpool. It is a narrow street between Victoria Street (at the bottom of the picture)and Dale Street. The building in the distance was The Fruit Exchange.

The street was a mixture of large warehouses mainly dealing in fruit from abroad. Other buildings were used for Banking,Insurance, Barristers Chambers, Solicitors etc.

The Iron Door was situated on the left going down to Victoria Street. In a past life the building was used as a butter warehouse and packing station the butter was imported in bulk from New Zealand.

During the day the street was a hub of activity with lorries loading and delivering goods. To add to all this hustle and bustle The Iron Door opened it's doors five days a week with live musical lunchtime sessions.

Today in the street, the warehouses are replaced with large modern office blocks, stretching the full length of the street. On the frontage of one of these buildings on the very spot where the Iron Door stood there is a plaque commemorating it's part in the history of the Merseybeat. On the Iron Door site there is a photograph of the plaque.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Geoff. It would seem that there may have been times in which the busy activities of the Iron Door may have complicated the life of those trying to use the street for delivery purposes. I trust the authorities may have been there to remind you of such occasions.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Temple Street was heaving every day and more so when we opened for the lunch time sessions we did receive the odd complaint, every one who had any interest in the street, just had to cope with the situation.
We opened at 11-30 the bands would start about 12'o'clock finish at 3-30.The Police spent some time in the street during the day directing the heavy goods vehicles,I don't think we caused too many problems.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Geoff Hogarth has noted that the van in front of the Iron Door in the 1960s photo shown below may be that used by the Beatles to take their August 16, 1960 trip to Hamburg.

Below are photos of Temple Street with the van parked next to the Iron Door and the Beatles' van being loaded for the ferry ride to Hamburg. The Iron Door sign has been highlighted in gray so that it can be seen more clearly in this archival photo.
Image Notice John Lennon is looking on as the van is hoisted.

13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

This information that The Beatles will be performing at The Iron Door lunch-time Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A great find. Do you recall when that advertisement was posted in the Liverpool Echo, Geoff? I have enlarged it slightly.

13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

The date the advert was placed in The Liverpool Echo reads March 8th 1961.
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

TEMPLE STREET 2006Image
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

TEMPLE STREET 2006Image
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Geoff. It is interesting to see Temple Street today. I actually prefer the black and white photo. Are there any establishments on the street today that were present in the early 1960s?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Looking at Temple Street from a different view, the following can be seen by entering "Temple Street, Liverpool, L2, UK" into Google Maps. I can almost see Geoff Hogarth walking along.

13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Temple Street is now one of the most attractive streets in Liverpool in my opinion opposite the Iron Door plaque there is a very attractive garden with seats around the perimeter.
The retained structures are two former Bank Buildings on the corner of Temple Street & Victoria,there is one other built in the same style as the original warehouses in the photograph you have posted on the Forum of Temple Street in the 60s,the other two original structures are on the corner of Temple Street and Dale Street.The buildings on two sides of the street have more or less been demolished and rebuilt.On the Black & White photograph the Iron Door Plaque is the round black spot under the sign To Let.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here is another satelite photo with the street names.

larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

I love that shot of the Beatles van being loaded onto the ferry. Alan William's mentions in his book 'The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away' that when they all met at The Jacaranda that morning they pasted 'BEATLES' on the side of the van. There is another photo(page 45 of The Beatles Anthology book) showing the other side of the van and you can see what's left of those letters! Cool details which also prove Alan William's has some great recollections of those days. On another note, page 44 of the same book shows Lennon's Club 40 leaning against the wall at the Blue Angel. There is some debate as to whether his Club had single tuners or strip tuners. You can clearly see they are strip tuners in this photo. Better get those Limited Club 40's correct!

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”