The Labor of MIDI

Putting music theory into practice
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

The Labor of MIDI

Post by jdogric12 »

Happy holiday weekend everyone. With the US Labor Day tomorrow, I thought I would ask everyone to share their thoughts and experiences relating to MIDI.

We can start with the classic debate of technology vs. human. I have been able to record parts with MIDI that would be impossible for any human to play (fast note runs, large jumps, etc.), but of course you lose the organic human feel of a person playing their instrument.

One could also conjecture that learning how to do MIDI sequencing is just as difficult as learning an instrument, if done thoroughly and properly.

Ready, set, discuss! Cheers, J
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very good topic Jason. I am more inclined to appreciate a work of music if it is something that is within the range of live human performance. I also like guitars that sound like guitars. It is clear, however, that this technology is here to stay until it becomes more "advanced."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Hump Day calls for a bump. Anyone besides me and Petey McC using MIDI?
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Jason I have used midi to some degree of success. I experimented on a couple of recordings just to see how I could get along along with midi programming and software editing.

Like Peter I really prefer the human touch when playing an instrument. I also prefer analogue recording over midi sequencing and recording. That being said I still use midi for some recording processes.

One of the major advantages of midi for me at least, are in the editing capabilities of midi.

If I were a better keyboard player, perhaps I would just be able to rattle off what I need on a take "live". Unfortunately I am not able to emulate Rick Wakeman so as a trade-off for lack of talent on the "keys", midi works for me .
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
wayang

Post by wayang »

In addition, MIDI will not drink all your beer and p*ss on your carpet...(sorry, Rick W...)

MIDI comes in very handy when you're facing a deadline and have a tight budget with which to produce recorded tracks.

Also, on this topic: Frank Zappa, who used to produce recorded tracks which could not be played by humans (sped up, slowed down, backwards, etc.) long before he got his hands on MIDI, felt that recorded musical product is inherently different from that which is played live, and should therefore not be bound by 'real time' rules...
I didn't get where I am today by being on time...
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Interesting! Whenever I hear trivia about Frank Zappa, I'm always extremely impressed. I've also heard his musical calligraphy was exquisite.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Thanks for the Zappa info Dane, now I don't feel so bad about using MIDI on my recordings.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

for his electronic compositions, Zappa used a device called a Synclavier which I always wished I could learn more about. Anyone know what that thing was?
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

There is a good history of them here:

http://www.500sound.com/synclavierhistory.html

I think they were the first (or one of the first)useable digital audio stations. The Cars sound was heavy into one as well. They were, as I recall, incredibly expensive as they used a mainframe computer for processing power (some were around $200K US I think).

...Dean
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Belated thanks, Dean. That was enlightening.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”