Dorian Mode

Putting music theory into practice
qmoder
Intermediate Member

Post by qmoder »

I know very little theory. But I wish that I knew a lot. A bass player that I played with had a couple of years with music as his major.
I can still remember him pecking around on the keyboard. I say try just fifths there on some fast part. He's always say no thats chinese music.
I peck around on them too sometimes and use whatever comes to mind. But
I have a feeling that as you learn other instruments and their flow of notes it teaches you more for your guitar playing. There are a lot of amazing guitar players out there.
I have often wondered though why there are not more Steve Winwoods in rock.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

One good way to grasp modes is to sit on a piano and look at just the white keys. Playing a scale from C to C is the "Do Re Mi.." major scale we all know, and that's one mode. Now play that scale from D to D and that is another, etc.

What I've forgotten is which mode is which...but hopefully the concept will help you to hear how they differ. In my case, I don't care anymore what they're called---I write based on what I want to hear, but the modes play their roles.

Oh, yes, and bartenders enjoy the mixolydian mode.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

There are lots of Steve Winwoods in rock --- they're called producers!
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

His Traffic stuff had the best bass lines! I may be wrong, but it was my understanding he wrote most of the parts for his tunes. I hated his solo career! I got to see a reunion of sorts in the late nineties. It was just Him and Jim Cappaldi from the old days.

They had a good sax player, Winwood did most of the guitar work, but when he went to the keyboards, the sax dude took up the axe. I believe it was Roscoe Lee on bass when I saw them. Anyways, great stuff, and new tunes that fit right in with the old stuff. Check out Some Kind of Woman, or Here Comes a Man.

I have a fairly complete Traffic library. When all my buds were into the Stones, I was digging Traffic. My faves may not match with most, in fact.

These were my faves. Traffic, Ten Years After, Mountain, Moody Blues, Grand Funk, Johnny Winter, ANY band with Grace Slick singing....... you get the idea..
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Did I mention early ZZ Top? Anything before Eliminator.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Did I mention early ZZ Top? Anything before Eliminator.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Charly, check out the streaming Traffic concert from the Fillmore East at www.wolfgangsvault.com

While we still can, that is.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

That's what I'm talkin bout! Great site. I'll be gettig some posters, I have 2 calendars in the shopping cart as we speak, Traffic playing LIVE in the headphones, cup of Italian roast, can it get any better?
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Did I mention a Padron 1964 Anniversary Robusto?. THEN it doesn't get any better!
qmoder
Intermediate Member

Post by qmoder »

I watched my Blind Faith concert video the other night. Steve did bit of a jam with Hendrix on Electric Lady Land.
Winwood seems to have aged really well too. He still does a lot of playing. He is simply amazing on keyboards.
Probably not many in his league as writers left today. Stevie Wonder is still alive along with Elton and Billy Joel. But Sadly Billy Preston is no longer with us. I can only think of Jerry Lee Lewis in the very early years of rock.
I'm just a mere guitar player in a sea of guitar players playing rock n roll. Thats why it makes me wonder why more great keyboard playing rock stars have not emmerged onto the rock scene in its years of existence.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”