And I played my guitar
Through the night to the day,
Turn, turn, turn again.
And the only tune
My guitar could play
Was, "Oh the Cruel Rain
And the Wind."

Another one of the great originals is gone

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-kleinow10jan10,1,1310764.story?track=rss
karl_teten
Intermediate Member

Post by karl_teten »

SAN FRANCISCO - “Sneaky” Pete Kleinow [AMG bio], a steel guitar prodigy who rose to fame as one of the original members of the Flying Burrito Brothers, has died. He was 72.

Kleinow, who also worked in film as an award-winning animator and special effects artist, died Saturday at a Petaluma convalescent home near the skilled nursing facility where he had been living with Alzheimer’s disease since last year, his daughter Anita Kleinow said.

During a musical career that spanned six decades, Kleinow helped define the country-rock genre in the late 1960s and 1970s by taking the instrument he had picked up as a teenager in South Bend, Ind., to California.

His prowess with the pedal steel guitar influenced a generation of rock-and-rollers, including the Eagles, the Steve Miller Band and Poco.

Besides co-founding the Burrito Brothers with the Byrds’ Chris Hillman and Gram Parsons in 1968, he enjoyed a steady gig as a session musician, recording with such singer-songwriters as John Lennon, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell and bands as varied as the Bee Gees and Sly and the Family Stone.

Kleinow played and recorded regularly with Burrito Deluxe, a band he founded in 2000 following the rebirth of alt-country music and fronted until he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. His last recording with the group is scheduled to be released next month, said Brenda Cline, the band’s manager.

Kleinow also won acclaim as an animator, special effects artist and director of commercials in television and film. His credits ranged from the original “Gumby” series — he wrote and performed the theme music as well as designed cartoons — and the relaunched “The Twilight Zone” to the movies “Under Siege,” “Fearless” and “The Empire Strikes Back.” He won an Emmy award in 1983 for his work on the miniseries, “The Winds of War.”

Kleinow is survived by his wife of 54 years, Ernestine, his daughters Anita and Tammy, and three sons, Martin, Aaron and Cosmo.

Plans for a memorial service to be held in Joshua Tree later this month are pending.
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Oh one of the GREAT Greats! Damn! I didn't know he passed.

This one makes me sad. Sneaky Pete was ubiquitous, not likely to be replaced.

Oh well. A good one to learn about if you haven't studied this guy...RIP Pete Kleinow.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
rick36

Post by rick36 »

Pete's Memorial service is being held this weekend at Joshua Tree National Park. If any of the Byrds fans out there aren't familiar with his steel guitar work, you can check out The Flying Burrito Bros., Dillard and Clark, and many others. This is his website, it's quite interesting and informative: http://www.sneakypetekleinow.com/
studiotwosession
Advanced Member

Post by studiotwosession »

Bummer.
This is off the record
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

My main remembrance of Sneaky Pete is of his many years of supreme pedal steel guitar work with so many people, but since I heard the news that Pete died, well for some reason I keep thinking about Gumby.

Yes, Gumby. You know, that episode where he and Pokey are doomed in an oven? When they melt? That one freaked the living poo outta me when I was a kid. Sneaky Pete HAD to have had a hand in that one.

The world will miss Sneaky Pete.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
malvernlink

Post by malvernlink »

Saw Sneaky Pete with the Flying Burrito Brothers in 1969 at the University Of California Irvine gym. The other band on the bill was Blues Image. What a show ! Saw him again in 78 or 79 playing with The New Riders of the Purple Sage at the Palomino in North Hollywood. His playing always left me with my mouth hanging open.

Another great one passes on.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”