LESSON #01 WITH J DOG

Putting music theory into practice
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Hey, I have great respect for anyone who can stay upright on a thin metal blade on ice, let alone do it backwards at 20-30 MPH! Then there is the figure skaters.....
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

But what for? I get where I am going........ forward a pace at a time!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

The sound of a major chord naturally draws to the note a fourth above. It's one of those funky little iron laws of harmonics and frequencies and whatnot. Accepting that, a D chord (major, mind you) wants to go to G. Similarly, an A chord wants to go to D.

Since the key of G is GABCDEF#G, we see to spell a chord on A gives us ACE, or A minor. By bending the rules you can play it A major (AC#E) and it draws to the D much stronger than A minor would have. Then from D you can go home to G.

In the example I gave they kind of combine the two steps, taking us from A major to G/D (G chord with D in the bass, an "inversion" if you will).

Clear as mud? Image

And yes, Paul, I have considered that many times.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Now this is getting scary. I actually followed that!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Muddy as hell!

And yes, Paul and Jason, I have too, many times.
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Well JDog, I am cornfused with this whole thread. Paul, if a Brobdingnagian giant is only 12 times larger than Gulliver (according to Jonathan Swift in his Travelungen), then how can he be universally related to an atomic scale Gulliver less than 10 to the 34th power smaller than him (not one-twelfth) in an inversion of chord patterns involving varying roots placement up the same key signature? Like most suns in harmonic balance, I would be doubly satisfied, but for this tendency of A Major to want to resolve up to A Colonel and thence to A General. Donald Sutherland did this up really well in a thumbnail view with Boone and Katy in Animal House, IIRC...

Y'know, come to think of it, I have GOT to stop logging on to this Forum just after visiting the Red Cross RV (that's Recreational Vampire) bus myself. I think my dipstick is about a quart low right now....

And they were out of cookies and orange juice too Image
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
melibreits

Post by melibreits »

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Well then, that explains everything! Image .... ;-)
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

"Now this is getting scary. I actually followed that!"

Oh man! SO DID I! I must be ill.....normally this wouldn't make any sense, Jdog & JB, you guys are making headway! THANK YOU!!!!
"Freedom of expression is important, but I have learned that people want to know how much you care before they care how much you know."
The only time a bass player gets noticed is when he stops playing.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”