Gerry Marsden Undergoes Heart Surgery

History and music of Liverpool
admin
Site Admin

Gerry Marsden Undergoes Heart Surgery

Post by admin »

Merseybeat star Gerry Marsden is recovering well following major heart surgery.

The lead singer of 60s band Gerry and the Pacemakers had triple heart bypass surgery at Broad Green hospital in Liverpool yesterday.

Before the operation the 60-year-old star's daughter said he was upbeat but nervous about the surgery.

She added: "He knows he's in good hands."

Today a spokeswoman for the Cardiothoracic Centre, where Marsden is being treated, said: "He is progressing well."

She added: "Mr Marsden has been transferred from the intensive care unit onto a ward.

"His wife Pauline and daughters Yvette and Vicky are at his side."

Marsden discovered he needed the surgery following a routine check-up.

He was awarded the MBE earlier this year for his charity work and has had a string of hits, including Ferry Across The Mersey and
You'll Never Walk Alone.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

Let's not forget "How Do You Do It". Here's to a full and fast recovery! I've always been a fan of his. Thank you, Peter for bringing this to our attention.
rictified

Post by rictified »

Don't let the sun catch you crying. How do you do it is my favorite Gerry and the Pacemakers song.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I really enjoy Gerry's cover of the Bobby Darin recording, "I'll Be There."
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

A college station here, KCSN ( http://www.kcsn.org ), has British Invasion night Saturdays 8-10pm, I can always be sure to hear a G&TP's song. I'll email em and ask tho send out their best wishes (it's broadcast internationally via internet).
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

"...nervous but upbeat...."

I can relate to that....LOL

I can imagine what he must have felt like waiting to go in to get it done(I had open heart surgery back in April)...After a few months, it seems surreal, like a distant memory...

All the best, Gerry. You'll be feeling great in no time.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From the Liverpool Echo September 26, 2003
Gerry goes home and he is not alone
Sep 26 2003
By Jenny Watson Echo Reporter

MERSEYBEAT star Gerry Marsden has been released from hospital after major heart surgery.

The 61-year old musician is being cared for by his family and passing his time reading the hundreds of get well messages which flooded into his Wirral home.

Gerry had a triple heart bypass operation last Monday.

He was released from hospital yesterday and has been ordered to rest for three months.

Wife Pauline, 60, said: "This has put the boot on the other foot in our house - now my daughters and I have got to entertain Gerry.

"He is still in quite considerable pain and we have to treat him as though he is in still in hospital.

"We know his recovery will be a slow process as it was such a major operation but we know he will get better slowly but surely. We have been sent so many cards and flowers I don't know where to put them all."

Pauline remained at her husband's bedside during his eight-day stay in the Cardiothoracic centre in Broadgreen. Daughters Vicky, 23, and Yvette, 36, are also helping care for him.

Pauline added: "All Gerry's showbusiness friends have been phoning to see how he is doing, as well as family and fans, but at the moment he is not allowed to have visitors apart from immediate family.

"He has been so touched to know everyone in Liverpool has been thinking of him, and enjoyed reading all their best wishes printed in the ECHO."

Gerry, of Gerry and the Pacmakers, underwent surgery after routine medical tests revealed he needed the operation to prevent a future heart attack.

Surgery took place less than a week after his last engagement - a Philharmonic Hall gig to mark the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attack.

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”