Am Pentatonic

Putting music theory into practice
charlyg

Am Pentatonic

Post by charlyg »

I just learned the pattern last night, along with the flatted fifth pattern. When I mentioned this to the Jazz guy at work, he mentioned this book:

Expansions, by Gary Campbell
http://www.amazon.com/Expansions-Gary-Campbell/dp/0634000055/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-8274722-6593640?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187374482&sr=8-2

I believe I got the last new one in stock, but they have used ones for 5.55. New, it is 9.99

It explains what he calls inside/out playing with Pentatonics........
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

What is the "flatted fifth pattern", Charly?
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

going down the strings low notes to high

5-8
5-6-7
5-7
5-7-8
5-8
5-8

I just don't know why or when to use it yet!!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

7 strings, eh Charly? Image Looks like you just put an extra 5-7 in the middle.

This is a very common pattern, I just never thought of it as its own seperate entity before. The flatted fifths, or augmented fourths, are better known as the tritone, or "diabolos in musica", known for it's rather, well, evil sound! In the key of A minor, our tritone is an Eb (if you're going by flatted fifths; if you go by augmented fourths, we have a D#).

In the world of the pentatonic scales, i've always thought of these notes as simply very colorful passing tones - if I were playing a solo in A minor, I doubt i'd ever sit on an Eb for very long, it just wouldn't sound right. But smack dab in the middle of a chromatic passage, it is downright sweet sounding.

So, to answer your question, feel free to use it in place of A minor pentatonic, as it's basically the same thing. Just don't sit on the flatted fifths, use them only as passing tones.

BTW, can't wait to talk theory with you in person next week! Make sure you bring a list of questions. Image
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I use them on my bass as passing tones, taught to me in one of my 5 lessons with Carol Kaye. It didn't click till you used the term passing tones!!

Can't wait!!
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Isn't that the scale that McGuinn runs through at about 90 miles per hour in the middle of the Eight Miles High lead break?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Somewhat. He also uses raised 6ths in that. (C# in the key of Em)

Good job JB.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I thought that scale pattern looked awful familiar.

JimK
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Tomorrow I start practicing the other positions..........and I am going to make an attempt to learn the 9th chords. Years ago I couldn't make the darn thing and got discouraged and put down the acoustic for a few years. Now that I understand what a 9th really is, It don't matter so much, which may make the difference! The problem I used to have was my 2nd finger deadening the index fingers string. Anyways the callouses are coming along fine!
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Quote: "7 strings, eh Charly? Looks like you just put an extra 5-7 in the middle."

?

I only see six strings listed.

charlyg

Post by charlyg »

I cheated and went back to edit!!!!
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Can that really be considered a pentatonic scale when it has 6 notes?
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

It is actually the blues scale (added flatted fifth). That is what jb was asking about.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”