Transitions to the "C" series

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Frank_S

Transitions to the "C" series

Post by Frank_S »

I have a 2000 v63. With the advent of the "c" series, there was a lot of attention paid to matching body widths and headstocks to their vintage counter parts. My question has to do with headstock shapes. I've compared them, blown them up and traced them to compare the similarities(or lack of)between old and new. It seems like my v63 has a near exact shape of John's 58, short and squat, but not the wide, late 80's style. I have a friend who has a late 80's v63 and the headstocks are different, his being more narrow.
The lower horn on my v63 is also slightly longer than his and the v59 I own. I'm wondering if some of the design details of the "c" series were being put into practice on non-prototype guitars.
Any thoughts?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Frank S: Thanks for raising this interesting question. I think what you have seen is how these instruments have evolved over the years. As with most things made, there is bound to be some variability from one guitar to another. I would gather that these changes have occurred over time and that there was no master plan to "practice" what would ultimately be the "C" series. This new "C" Series was really only developed over the past year or so. The examples that you offer span decades. Your observations are interesting, nonetheless, and suggest a trend whether deliberate or not. Another bit of Rickenbacker history to consider. My two cents.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

The only person who could tell you the answer to that question would be John Hall. A little off topic but.....JH told me that for the last month or so, every Fire-Glo 330 and 360V64 (6 or 12) has had the George Harrison paint job.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

John: Not too far off topic at all. I suppose when you begin to develop a new feature it doesn't hurt to practice a bit before the main event. I have always liked the "Harrison shading" and there will be some happy players out there who got it first.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Nick_Thiel

Post by Nick_Thiel »

Here is little proof, some NAMM pics already posted, tell me if this shading looks familiar on this guitar:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=637760&a=11128406&p=38833018

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”