5 string bass for a novice

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

marc61

5 string bass for a novice

Post by marc61 »

I'd like to get a 5 banger to toy around with. Looking for that hard/alternative sound.

Would love a Music Man but they're a bit pricey for a bass I won't play much. I tried a couple of Ibanez's today as Sam Ash, but they really didn't move me...

suggestions?
" It's not where you are, it's who you're with.".
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

If you like the Music Man, try an OLP MM3. I used to own one. Pretty nice bass for the money. Swap out the pickup with a real MM or a Basslines pickup and it's even better.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/OLP-MM3-5String-Bass?sku=516002

I'm also a fan of the Peavey Grind. Really nice flat & thin neck. The only problem with every one of these that I've played is the frets stick out over the edge of the fingerboard.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Grind-Bass-Guitar-5-BXP-NTB-?sku=511362

I'd also suggest an Ibanez SR405, but if they don't move you, well what's the point.

Try out some Schecters if you can.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

The OLPs are pretty good, but heavy compared to the MMs, and the one I had distorted if you pumped the bass tone control past the flat point and hissed if you pumped the treble. For a few extra bucks you can get the Tony Levin signature OLP, which has an alnico magnet pickup like the original MMs.

The Lakland Skyline 55-01 can be had for around $500 used and is a very nice bass for the money. Double soapbar pickups, and you can approximate a MM sound if you use the controls and pickup blend knob correctly. It's a 35-inch scale and the extra inch really makes the B string sing.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Marc, I have something that may interest you. Email sent...
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

I have a Peavey Grind that is my main player right now. Amazed at the quality of a bass I paid under $200 for on Ebay. Neck-thru, twin passive soapbars, nice tone and feel. My fret ends don't stick out at all.
Also have a Peavey Cirrus which is active and HOT. Great playing and sounding bass, but the price may be prohibitive unless you try the Cirrus BXP, which is still a cut above the Grind.
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

I just picked up an Ibanez 6-string bass, the SR506, and I'm pretty impressed. Of course, there are considerably fewer 6-strings to choose from than 5-strings, especially in stores. But it has Bartolini pickups and preamp, plays and sounds good. Got it at my local GC (yuck!) but it looked like it hadn't been played much, if at all, by the local shredders - the 5 string version they had out was definitely shredded - as in it looked like someone was strumming away at both the strings and body with a metal pick!

If you want to go real cheap isn't there a new Squier 5-string? I played one of the "vintage modified" Squier 4-strings and it was pretty nice - played a different one in a different store and it felt like it was 10 pounds heavier! Apparently the first shipment was good and the subsequent ones were much heavier (all hearsay of course).
marc61

Post by marc61 »

That's funny Harry - I tried a Squier special 5 string or something like that. It was fretless but I was pretty impressed. Especially at the price. Just over $200.

Damn Music Man is nice though..The OLP's I tried were junk.
ram

Post by ram »

I like the Squire 5 for an entry level bass and Schecter makes a good product.
The only thing we can perceive are our perceptions - George Berkeley
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

rob
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob »

I once had a MIJ Fender 5 string. It was really good. I actually wish I kept it, but that extra string just wasn't for me. It wasn't a 5 string Jazz bass, but it did have the J-style PU's.

BTW, I've noticed on a lot of 5 strings, especially cheaper makes, the B string tends to be too floppy. Is that just the way it is on these, or is it just wound on the tuning peg wrong? I've heard that many 5 string basses had a bad rap for this "problem".
markbass99
Intermediate Member

Post by markbass99 »

I've been dabbling in the five string arena for a little while now and I think string selection is more critical than anything else when it comes to floppiness, considering all things are equal and all the basses involved are of high quality. I love DR round wounds, but I haven't found their B strings to be all that great. I've also tried Daddario, S.I.T., and GHS B's and were not satified. Finally tried Labella H.R.S. B's in the .128" gauge and the feel and intonation/tone was fantastic. I'm going to try the Labella Deep Talking Bass RW B also in .128" and hope it's as good. I still use DR's for the other four strings as I'm not against mixing string brands on the same bass if it gets good results.
73 Feb 4001, 73 March 4001, 73 April 4001, 73 May 4001, 73 June 4001, 73 July 4001
04 MM Bongo 5HSp, 07 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5Hp, 11 MM Bongo 5H
marc61

Post by marc61 »

See, now it's funny...I went to another GC yesterday and tried an OLP there. Much nicer. It actually sounded better than the MM Stingray they had. Go figure.

I ended up picking this one up

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Active-5-String-Jazz-Bass-V?sku=512618X

Tried it yesterday, the ordered the s&d one from online. If I'm a good boy, and end up playing the thing, or my son takes a liking, then I'll step it up.

Was impressed with a couple of Ibanez's I tried. They had loud pickups and sounded just nasty. I can certainly see why Alt/Punk/Emo bassists would love them.
marc61

Re: 5 string bass for a novice

Post by marc61 »

Picked up this one too:

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDe ... tem=839834

Not quite sure what this bass is made of. Must be nasty pieces of wood covered by opaqueness. For the kind od music I want to use it for, that super brite, noisy sound is what I'm looking for. The finish on the body seems like the non-slip surfaces you see around swimming pools
atomic_punk

Re: 5 string bass for a novice

Post by atomic_punk »

Marc, if you ever wanna let go of the SUB, let me know. That is the exact one I have been looking for.

Return to “The Low End”