melibreits

Post by melibreits »

Eeeeewwwwwww..... That's definitely NOT my style, LOL! Image

Purple and green jello? Urp!
"Once I've held and played the best, baby, I won't settle for less!"
elysrand
Advanced Member

Post by elysrand »

Baked Beans, Tom? OH NO! That actress later fell off a stage 35 feet or more and broke her back. Not a pretty sight. Wouldn't want THAT to happen to ANY Forumite that we know, eh? Regardless of how supple their wrists were........
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, and sit in with the band whenever you can, to keep your chops up!
markbass99
Intermediate Member

Post by markbass99 »

I remember when that movie came out I was fifteen and that scene with Ann-Margret and the beans totally freaked me out, I don't think I ever recovered. It wasn't too long after that I started experimenting with drugs, that's right, I'm blaming the movie. Image
73 Feb 4001, 73 March 4001, 73 April 4001, 73 May 4001, 73 June 4001, 73 July 4001
04 MM Bongo 5HSp, 07 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5HS, 09 MM Bongo 5Hp, 11 MM Bongo 5H
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

"Eeeeewwwwwww..... That's definitely NOT my style, LOL! :-O

Purple and green jello? Urp!"

Melissa, you'd not last at our annual Super Bowl party then - my wife always makes Jell-o football helmets in the team colors. Can you say Vikings vs Jets?! :D

Mark - I once (about 4 years ago) rented an Impala from Alamo that had just been returned by Ann-Margaret - she was in town for a week at the local theater. Funny thing was, there were empty cans of pork-and-beans under the seat...... ;)
rickenmetal

Re: Pretty faker

Post by rickenmetal »

Guacamoleglo? Interesting idea. That means in a few years it will turn into the green-black burst, which I have seen on real Ricks (although it is very rare, not sure if it's stock, I think it might be). :lol:
Droog61

Post by Droog61 »

When I was 16 the closest thing I could afford to a Rickenbacker was a Univox 4001 copy in 1976 or 7. They made some of the more expensive copies.

It was really well done Maple Glo with dual rods and neck through body and a toaster pickup and mono and stereo outputs, However once I tried my friends Rick I was on a hell bent mission to get a real one and ditch the imposter :)

I sold the Univox to my cousin and I think he still has it.

Cheers,
Droog
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Those are not Grover tuners, of course, but I'm afraid they're better than the real thing... :mrgreen: Honest. :!:
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

You know you are not allowed to say stuff like that, Serg. Even if it is true. :D People go ga-ga over those half-assed tuners. I just don't get it.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Granted, not all Grovers were the exploding kind. :mrgreen: Those made prior to a certain point in time were reliable. My 1970 21 fretter has 1st-version Grovers and they still work perfectly, while the 2nd-version ones on my "all black" 1974 4001 look like it won't be long until they... well, explode. :roll: As for the fake Grovers, however, I must insist: they're totally dependable! No way they're going to come apart tomorrow or fifty years from now. :!:
ben_brown
Advanced Member

Post by ben_brown »

Just curious but is there a visible way to tell what generation Grover tuners a certain Grover might be? Is it something to do with the way the back is suaged on? <-------check spelling
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

I have a set of them in my parts box that I never felt the need to use. They are tightly assembled and pretty smooth to operate and I suppose they would work OK. I am not crazy about the way they look.

The older ones Sergio mentioned I believe are made in the USA. The exploding ones were not.
gray

Post by gray »

$869 is more than I paid for the real thing two years ago.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

According to John Hall, the exploding Grovers were from the first batch made when Grover exported production to Asia. The problem was corrected; how big the batch of these was, I'm not sure, but those made before and after the bad batch have no problems. These were originally "spin-swaged" and can now be staked with a nail set, but most be removed from the bass first, of course.
mfb

Post by mfb »

I'm amazed it's still there after all this time.

Is it???
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

mfb wrote:I'm amazed it's still there after all this time.

Is it???
Well, the link still works....

I'm surprised the RIC legal SWAT team hasn't closed this down.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”