Bluesology

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
admin
Site Admin

Bluesology

Post by admin »

While I usually have a good idea of what is meant by the blues, sometimes I feel a bit like the Blues' emperor with the new clothes when being introduced to new songs.

I am reminded of Charly's quote of James Johnson.
It is from the blues that all that may be called American music derives its most distinctive characteristics.
-James Weldon Johnson
and it is in this spirit that I have started this thread.

Chord structure, arrangement, performance and lyrics are not always congruent. The doctor of the blues may be treating a bacterial infection that is more viral in nature than the symptoms suggest.

Sometimes artists call it the blues when it may be something different. One such example is "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues." Is this Elton John classic the blues or a clever theme that is more pop. And what do you think of "Summertime Blues" may be a wolf in sheeps clothing ranging from Rockabilly in the case of Eddie Cochran to the rockin' Blue Cheer version. Is "Crazy" country, blues or jazz? I would like to know if you have found similar examples?

What is the essence of the blues? Stripped of its trappings is it simply a style or can the lyrical content command make it so? What do you think?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Bluesology

Post by winston »

Here's what Bill Dahl has of "The Blues Foundation" to say on this complicated subject:

Definition of the Blues

"To the detached musicologist, defining the blues is a simple task: a basic I-IV-V chord progression laid over a 12-bar framework. For the rest of us who identify with the music on a more personal level, it's a great deal more complicated than that.

Ever since the blues first developed from African-American field hollers, feeling has been the most essential ingredient. Rough-hewn rural heavyweights Blind Lemon Jefferson and Charlie Patton, vaudeville-trained belters Bessie Smith and "Ma" Rainey, and Memphis bandleader W.C. Handy played incalcuble roles in defining the idiom. In Robert Johnson's mesmerizing hands, the blues jumped out of the Delta stark and menacing; barrelhouse pianists Roosevelt Sykes and Big Maceo gave it thunderous power, and ebullient alto saxist Louis Jordan injected a dose of happy jumping jive.

Whether drawing from the mighty post-war roar of Chicago giants Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, the immaculate guitar excursions of B.B. King and his vast legion of acolytes, the daunting harmonica exploits of Little Walter and the two Sonny Boy Williamsons, or the soul-slanted, honey-voiced croons of Bobby "Blue" Bland and Little Milton, the blues has grown, adapted, remained abreast of the times as the decades sailed by. It remains a living, breathing entity as we cross the threshold into a new millennium, its future assured as long as folks search for relief from their suffering or require a rollicking soundtrack for their Saturday night soirees.

The blues is as honest a musical form as it is uplifting. The blues is life-with all its ups and downs intact."
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
tennis_nick
Intermediate Member

Re: Bluesology

Post by tennis_nick »

Blues is hard to define. much like any other form of music. Blues is a bit tougher, because it's roots are so vast, as are the styles of music that call it daddy.

For me, I take the example of Freddie King first of all. When Freddie played, he had 2 voices. His songs sometimes felt like a man talking to his guitar, and the guitar shouting back. What also strikes me about Freddie is the upbringing and life he lead. He worked (was it in a steel mill?) in Texas throughout most of his musical career, and to me is a great example of "Rock and roll? all you need is a guitar"

But Rock and Roll is not the blues. What is the blues? I think about it as the lowest common denominator. The everyman. Everyone has felt an emotion at some point in their life, and if you've felt it, chances are someone is singing about it somewhere! Another thing I find is cool about the blues, it's complex enough to amaze, and simple enough to seem accessible.

That's what I get from it anyways. Here's an exercise. go to a crowded place with an mp3 player (or equivalent) and set yourself up so you can see most of the faces in the crowd. Listen to some blues numbers. Personal preference is Freddie King. Listen to the words. Listen to the music... At some point, you realize... The person singing about this, could be ANYONE in this crowd... absolutely anyone. That's the blues isn't about being sad. it's about feeling. and everyone feels, if I may generalize.

The 1-4-5 I think is a by-product. It sounds good. it's simple. it's familiar. anyone can hum a 12 bar, match that up to with lyrics anyone can live... you've got the blues.

I hope that comes off as cohesive.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”