Dear Dire...

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Dear Dire...

Post by sowhat »

I'm confessing now, but some of you may already know it.
They have been my favourite band since the times i was like 12, or even less, and they still remain my # 1 (i'm almost 30). Some — quite a few, i must say — have come and gone, and these guys (or perhaps more precisely — this guy) remain there, and nobody — nobody, even the Ramones — cannot knock them out.
Long story short cause music always says more than words. My first one, of course, was the one below. I was still living in USSR back then.

The one that got my Dad hooked. He asked me if i ever heard about Dire Straits, and i said, oh yes, Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler, all the stuff. He was quite surprised. BTW, that's the only band we both love equally. Usually, he's quite critical about my tastes in music.

The one that makes me cry. The best lovesong i've ever heard.

And my favourite one. No use in words, it speaks for itself.

So it goes.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
winston
Membership Admin

Re: Dear Dire...

Post by winston »

One of my favorite songs to warm up on is "Sultans of Swing" I just love playing that lead. It is so technical and yet so uplifting. "Money for Nothing is another great tune. So I agree Sheena, they are a great band.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Two of my favourite albums ever are Dire Straits and Making Movies. IMO not a weak song to be found on either. Gravel voice, smooth silky strat sound, ever so tight rhythm section, great material and effective arrangements - what's not to like?. Mark Knopfler's playing reminds me of JJ Cale on a caffiene high, which is a good thing, as I love JJ Cale too - and I'm partial to espresso.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

Personally, I don't think they ever matched the greatness of the first two recordings. When those two releases came out, it was like being hit over the head with a sledge hammer and made me want to get a Stratocaster. The songs were smartly written, the arrangements were loose but tight and Knopfler's guitar tone was a thing beauty. It seemed that after he and his brother had a falling out the dynamic of the band changed and they became a bit more commercial, IMHO.

Last year, I bought a copy of the Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris CD All The Roadrunning after hearing it played during a break one night. What a great recording this one is! Classic Knopfler guitar work and a return to the Strat tone that I fell in love with in '78. The songs are well crafted, the musicianship is top shelf and the vocal harmonies work very well together. This one stayed in my player for two straight weeks....but then again, how could anything with Emmylou on it be bad???? Highly recommended CD.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

peewee wrote: Last year, I bought a copy of the Mark Knopfler/Emmylou Harris CD All The Roadrunning after hearing it played during a break one night. What a great recording this one is! Classic Knopfler guitar work and a return to the Strat tone that I fell in love with in '78. The songs are well crafted, the musicianship is top shelf and the vocal harmonies work very well together. This one stayed in my player for two straight weeks....but then again, how could anything with Emmylou on it be bad???? Highly recommended CD.
+1
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Speaking of Knopfler's solo works, the one that gives me thrills every time i hear it — the voice, the feel, the tune, everything — is "Fare thee well Northumberland". Simply brilliant. Unfortunately, i didn't manage to find a clip for that song on the tube.
But this one below isn't bad either. :wink:

(and i cannot believe i'm confessing again, but he's such a charming man... :oops: )
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”