Dick Dale Gives Some Pointers

Rock, Blues, R&B, Jazz, Country, Progressive and Metal music from 70’s on.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Dick Dale Gives Some Pointers

Post by kenposurf »

Good info...

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Dick Dale Gives Some Pointers

Post by sloop_john_b »

Very interesting. It seems like musicians who came to prominence around the time Dick did nearly always got screwed by crooked management or labels. I trust him!
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Pretty much matches most of my observations. One thing that he didn't specifically point out is the incredible amount of stress that dealing with some of these companies and people can put on the band. You want to concentrate on your music, but it is a lot harder when nobody's in a decent mood because you're pretty sure you're getting screwed, or you can't find out whether you're getting screwed but think you might be, or that the people who are in charge of promoting you aren't getting off their butts to do so. With a combination of modern recording and media production and distribution and the self-promotion possibilities offered by the internet, you can go a long way via your own efforts and remain in control of the situation yourself. It beats the heck out of the old system. It wasn't all corrupt and the people weren't all crooks, but the artists had no choice but to play by their rules and very little control over their own destiny. I certainly don't have the amount of experience with this sort of thing that Dick Dale does and we never got up into the million dollar range, but we did record for Elektra Records and were booked by the William Morris Agency and what Dick is saying rings very true. Let's just say that we were a lot more concerned with us not starving to death than they were.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Well all I can add is that Dick's comments certainly match my experience to a tee. Listen to what he has to say because he is with out a doubt 100% correct.

Even though they may not be to every ones taste, KISS eventually broke the mold and they got it right. I believe that Gene Simmons is the best business man in rock and roll. He knows how and when to market his products.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Groove Yard: by Admin”