Duane Eddy The King Of Twang

Reverberations from Duane Eddy and beyond
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Duane Eddy The King Of Twang

Post by kenposurf »

The first Lp that I could call my own was Duane's "Have Twangy Guitar Will Travel" The big hit was Rebel Rouser but all tracks rock. Duane and Lee Hazelwood wrote many of the cuts on this Lp and the killer sound was helped along in no small part by the great Steve Douglas on sax. BB King has said one of his favorite blues tracks is Three-30-Blues..a Hazelwood/Eddy effort on this Lp. Duane's use of the vibrato and the tremolo effect on his amp gives him that twang..very much in control and musical. This Lp belongs in every instrumental collection...

tamborineman

Re: Duane Eddy The King Of Twang

Post by tamborineman »

Totally agree. He was the first guy that made me think I wanted to play guitar,about 1961 I think. I just got a Gretsch 6118 a couple of monthes ago to revisit this territory, what fun! 8)
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

tamborineman wrote:Totally agree. He was the first guy that made me think I wanted to play guitar,about 1961 I think. I just got a Gretsch 6118 a couple of monthes ago to revisit this territory, what fun! 8)
Yep....I'm "sort of" on the hunt for a Dearmond T-400...poor mans Duane Eddy model...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A great song. It is great to go back to the roots of twang, George. I just love that scintillating tone. His music was and is infectious.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

One more by Duane...off Have Twagny Guitar Will Travel... Those of you with a NoM cd in your collection may recall this one...

peewee
Intermediate Member

Post by peewee »

Gotta get yourself a Magnatone amp to really nail that particular vibrato sound; nothing sounds like those things! The slowest vibrato I've ever heard comes from those amps. I've read that DE also used a DeArmond outboard trem unit as well - pretty crazy!
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

For those that didn't know, John Entwistle of the Who listed Eddy among his major influences in playing and sound. That's why Entwistle went for that very baritone sound with his bass (esp. his Bass VI) on many early Who tracks.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Saw Duane live in 68 at a small cabaret venue in Wakefield Yorkshire England, I thought he was great but like a lot of cabaret type venues not sure most of the audience relaised what a legend he was.

There is actually an annual Duane Eddy convention held every year in London just before Pipeline convetion, Pipeline is a excellent magazine here in UK devoted entirely to Instrumentals.

Duane never shows up to these conventions but there is a dedicated hard core of fans.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Let's bring Duane back up with Three 30 Blues!

and Ramrod!

Return to “Instrumental As Anything: by Admin”