Reissue horseshoe pickups on C64 basses

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Reissue horseshoe pickups on C64 basses

Post by bigbajo60 »

Bom dia, Sergio!

A question for you pertaining to those horseshoe pickups.

I've seen some people say that the shoes are "cosmetic" only.

Others (myself included) say that the shoes "bend, shape and focus" the magnetic field around the strings, to "emulate" the original horseys. The evidence that this is the case (I believe) is the fact that the E and G polepieces on a reissue horseshoe are so much shorter than the A and D polepieces. Since those "outside" polepieces are so close to the "bend" of each shoe, I imagine that is where the magnetic field would be concentrated, therefore a shorter polepiece is necesitated for the sake of sonic balance.

Have you come to any conclusions about this? Or have you heard any definitive word from any official RIC source(s)?

BTW, many thanx for your wonderful contributions to the forum!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: Reissue horseshoe pickups on C64 basses

Post by johnallg »

John Hall has stated they are cosmetic only. I have tried to magnetize them and they won't. The varying heights of the pole pieces you observe is to emulate the curve of the fretboard - just like the high gain pickup poles do. My take on it.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I agree that the magnet stagger is to produce even string balance, but I do recall John mentioning several times that the shoes do have some affect on the magnetic field.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I'm sure that the shoes do have some effect on the magnetic field, but the pickup will still function without them. There have been a few forum members that have removed the shoes. I don't recall reading about complaints of poorer output or tone.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

My Halfway House for Hapless Horseshoes is taking in refugees, all are welcome. :D
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

An aesthetic only....

Take them off, dig in properly, and it won't make the slightest bit of difference to what you hear.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Boa tarde, Alvaro 8)
Well, I couldn't have explained it any better. Anyways, one thing the RI 'shoes certainly are useful for is grounding the magnet and coil assembly.
As for the fact that on re-issue HS pickup both the A and D polepieces are much taller than the E and G ones, I think this is rather by accident than design. Just my opinion.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

rickcrazy wrote:As for the fact that on re-issue HS pickup both the A and D polepieces are much taller than the E and G ones, I think this is rather by accident than design. Just my opinion.
Sergio, the magnet rods are actually different lengths, so I do not believe it is by accident. It is to follow the curve of the neck/nut/bridge.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Well, I know 8) What I was trying to say was that both the A and D polepieces are way taller than they should be, which sometimes results in either the G or E string, or both, having less output than the A and D ones. Take any high-gain pickup: all four polepieces on it are set at the right height.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I get even string response from the two RIHS I have.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”