Korean Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

mgauction
Advanced Member

Re: Korean Epiphone Thunderbird IV

Post by mgauction »

johnallg wrote:I remember when Epiphone and MIK meant Made in Kalamazoo.
You old 60's guy!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

mgauction wrote:
You old 60's guy!
Easy, Mike, I know your birth date, and it is only 6 months after mine! We're showing our ages! :lol: :lol:
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

At least Kalamazoo still has you, John! :wink:
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

johnallg wrote:
mgauction wrote:
You old 60's guy!
Easy, Mike, I know your birth date, and it is only 6 months after mine! We're showing our ages! :lol: :lol:
And I'm a grandpa!!
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

lennon211 wrote:
antipodean wrote:MIK instruments seem to be getting better and better. Not quite to MIJ standards yet, but the gap has closed significantly. I'm keeping an eye out for a T-bird to add to the burgeoning herd (or should that be flock?).
I'd agree. The fit and finish of instruments that have come out of Epiphone lately have been a better quality than they were in the past. Now if they would just couple the selection of instruments that they had in the mid and late '90's with the quality that they have going for them these days. If they did, I'd probably be buying at least two more instruments.
I realize I'm responding to this a month later (!), but what Epiphone models did you like from the 90s? I can only really remember the Sorrento - Es-135 style. Of course, I was too young to know what Epiphone was!
atomic_punk

Post by atomic_punk »

Charly, congrats on your "Bird!
I've had 3 of them...same finish as yours, goth, and white. Loved them all. Big thick meaty sound. When they make a 5-string version of it, I will buy it!
Also looking for a '87ish Gibson V bass (not a flying V) if anyone knows where one is.
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

If you're interested, Hipshot makes a 3 point bridge that is supposed to be a drop in replacement. I have an Epi EB-3 with a 3 point bridge I was looking to replace a while back. Might be worth looking in to. My buddy has an Epi like yours and complains it's neck heavy, but he's a skinny little weasel :D
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

regarding the tone knob, I never used them on the Gibsons I owned and probably should have modded them out. With my 4001 it's another story, though, as I find them actually useful! I have been tempted to buy a TBird after playing one. They're surprisingly good to play and feel, sound, rock solid. If they make a set-neck model I'd have to surrender.
All I wanna do is rock!
bassilisk

Post by bassilisk »

I have been tempted to buy a TBird after playing one. They're surprisingly good to play and feel, sound, rock solid. If they make a set-neck model I'd have to surrender.
They(Gibson) do - they're the Studio series. Set neck vs neck thru and they're about $700 less.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... c=3SOSWXXA

I have a standard Gibson '00 Thunderbird and I think it's one of the classic rock basses with a great neck and killer tone. I keep hearing great things about the Epi's too!
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

dpowell wrote:
lennon211 wrote:
antipodean wrote:MIK instruments seem to be getting better and better. Not quite to MIJ standards yet, but the gap has closed significantly. I'm keeping an eye out for a T-bird to add to the burgeoning herd (or should that be flock?).
I'd agree. The fit and finish of instruments that have come out of Epiphone lately have been a better quality than they were in the past. Now if they would just couple the selection of instruments that they had in the mid and late '90's with the quality that they have going for them these days. If they did, I'd probably be buying at least two more instruments.
I realize I'm responding to this a month later (!), but what Epiphone models did you like from the 90s? I can only really remember the Sorrento - Es-135 style. Of course, I was too young to know what Epiphone was!
Sorry it took so long to respond here. I was talking about the time around '97 and '98 when they were doing the Rivoli, EB-1, Riviera 6 and 12 in their vintage style (not the newer Valensi version), Sorrento, etc. It seemed like they had a much better selection of vintage-era models.

Return to “The Low End”