Sekret

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sekret

Post by admin »

Sheena: Based on the context of the lyrics that you have provided, could we substitute captain for chief. There is definitely a nautical theme going on here at least in the early verses.

Certainly an intense sounding track in which the soloist has the expression of being "hard done by."

For me there is an interesting Day In The Life crescendo in the beginning with a musical palette of Chicago horns, Stevie Wonder and Billy Joel keyboard work.

I like it very much and the contrast between the vocals and instrumentation creates the impression of a stormy relationship for me.

Thanks for sharing this.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

admin wrote:Based on the context of the lyrics that you have provided, could we substitute captain for chief. There is definitely a nautical theme going on here at least in the early verses.
I think not. It is not "captain", and that is the whole point. The one(s) "on the bridge" are not regarded as captains, rather as "Big Guy(s)" (or "big brother(s) who is/are watching you"). Besides, there is "captain" in the last verse, so i think the difference in terms was intentional. But that's just now i see it, i am not the author of the lyrics so i cannot know for sure what he actually meant.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks for your interpretation Sheena. I noticed Captain in the last verse too, so that is a good point.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

I'd also say the word "captain" ("капитан") sounds noble, captain is a guy who leads and helps the team cope with problems and skerries. While the word mainly used in the song — "Главный" — Chief, or Big guy, or Main man, cannot decide which would be the best English equivalent — has a negative connotation, that's rather somebody who creates problems and uses & abuses other people to benefit, make money for himself, etc.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Just to "finish with" — my two personal favourites. The first one is more of a rebellious kind and is my all-time favourite from the days i was a child (well, around eleven or twelve). The second one is not rebellious at all, more of a "lyrical" kind and i've first heard it only recently thanks to the web, but i thought — since you, Peter, are kind of responsible for my getting hooked on them once again (for the first time since the days i was a child "deeply in love" with one of the members (i won't tell you who exactly and it doesn't really make any difference since he didn't know about it anyway)), i've decided to post it anyway cause i thought you may like it. Or you may not. I don't know. :wink:
Беспечный ездок (Секрет) Easy rider (Leonidov/Fomenko)
My friend's an easy rider,
He has once decided — time to live crosswise,
Trust the speed, to hell with the muffler,
And he feels at ease ever since.
Waste land champion, he's always lonely,
He lives out of place,
Never looking back,
Going only forward.

Refrain: Foot-to-the-floor, he's invincible,
First foot-to-the-floor, and then we'll see.
And who knows where's the step over the edge,
Foot-to-the-floor, one foot in paradise.

What's this race for, i have no clue,
He's happy with the trail,
The speedometer's the only brother
And nobody's tagging along.
The electricity dynamic is in his veins,
Only the engine roars,
Soon the crazy gazoline god
Will break the aorta.

Refrain.

A lonely wolves breed,
Gaining ennemies with every metre,
Proud that he's not lying to himself,
He lives against the hair.

And he got used to pound the bitumen to powder,
From fifty bads
Chooses all the hundred,
Always singing rock'n'roll.
And the gear level is a firing hammer to him,
He gives no toss about success,
He's one against everybody,
My friend the easy rider.
Refrain.

Мама (Секрет) Mama (by the same authors)
Night has covered our house with a blue coat, and there's only two of us, mama.
Snow, light as a smoke, flying over it, let's talk, mama.

Refrain: Mama, the calendar's right, mama, January comes soon,
And yet mama, time doesn't count, don't feel sorry about anything,
Lay your head down on my shoulder.

You're holding in your hands my every step — so be it, mama.
Life's a strange cruise, first up, then down — just hold on, mama.

Refrain: Mama, the calendar's right, mama, after December, there'll be January,
And yet mama, time doesn't count, don't feel sorry about anything,
Lay your head down on my shoulder.

Snow, a tear in the window, melts like a candle — time, stop, mama.
Once again storms and thunder will wash off with the rain the sorrow about bygone, mama.
Refrain.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sheena: My favourite is Mama, which it a haunting melody with great lyrics. Russian is very expressive and I am still getting used to a tone that I may interpret as being harsh, when it is not. A fascinating study in language, without a doubt.

I just love Mama from the Ava Maria-like piano introduction to the last classy bass note. A very creative sound, that was influenced by Queen, in my view. The Brian May guitar influence and the vocal expressiveness of Freddie Mercury is unmistable to my way of thinking.

I also find the harmonies to add a wonderful feel and texture to the music, which afterall is only fitting given the title.

I really appreciate this continued introduction to Russian musicians and I wonder if this would not also be a great topic for the Russian Chapter too?

You say finish? I say begin!

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

admin wrote:Sheena: My favourite is Mama, which it a haunting melody with great lyrics.
Yess! I knew it, i knew it! :)
Queen? Well, maybe. Freddie Mercury's style vocals? Hmm. I think not. :wink: But that's just how i see it.
As for harsh tone — i'd rather describe it as "emotional". It's very common among Russian bands and artists. Express as much feeling as you can, let your heart sing. As a famous Soviet singer (and the head of the first Soviet jazz band), Leonid Utesov, once sang, "and if i didn't have enough voice, i was singing with heart". Perhaps explains why i, for one, care for feel and emotion in the song much more than for technical aspects of vocals and instrumentals.
Well, i did think that this thread rather belongs to Russian chapter than this section but i haven't figured out how to move it there (if i am able to do it at all) — besides, they did appear there as well as one of "Russian Rickenbacker artists". But, on the other hand, it has more chance to get some attention here. :wink: And of course, i am planning to introduce other Soviet and Russian bands over there, trying to figure out the best way to do it.
You say begin? He-he. They had two albums as a quartet, three albums as a trio (without their "escaped" main singer/rhythm guitarist whose vocal parts, for some reason, are barely represented here — only the song the thread started with and "Leningrad time"), and then, after their bass player left, there was something recorded but personally i cannot listen to it. So there's lots of stuff. :twisted: Not to mention they've reunited about five years ago and there's quite a few vids on the tube, but it's all good old songs, only one new and it's nowhere close to their old material (unfortunately).
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sheena: thanks for your thoughts about emoting and music. By similarity to Freddy Mercury I meant the emotion in his voice not the tone per se.

The lead guitar is a ringer for Brian May though.

Some vocalists can sell a song even if they are singing the phone book. The lead singer for Sekret is one of them.

Now how to I get the Moscow phone book. :)

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

admin wrote:Some vocalists can sell a song even if they are singing the phone book. The lead singer for Sekret is one of them.
Which one do you mean? The one who sang on "Mama", "Step by step", "Easy Rider" and "Night"? Hmm. As i said, i've never really considered him a singer (rather a showman), albeit he's quite good at hitting the notes and expressing emotions. In fact, all the four guys did/do sing. Even "Ringo" (Alexey Murashov). Here you go.

That's a joke song about a girl named Sarah Barabu who lived in Timbuktoo and had a marabou and a cow called Moo. I may give the word-by-word translation, but in fact, lyrics are not the main point. It's pure circus untouched by human wisdom and seriousness. :lol: "That's a lip-synch, you know, but why not make fun of it".
And btw, Saint Petersburg phone book would be more appropriate, since the band was/is from Leningrad/St. Petersburg. :wink:
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Well, since there seems to be little — if any — interest for other Russian bands (over at Russian Federation chapter), and since i promised to introduce more stuff sung by Maxim Leonidov, "Soviet Elvis", the handsome one, the "Leningrad nightingale", the whatever, i'll continue.
"Привет" (Hello). Perhaps the most famous song by the band, about a guy who meets his ex-girlfriend in the trolley. Live. Really live. The story behind the vid: Leonidov and the band's manager have agreed to be videotaped, the other band members had no idea what was happening. You can see their reaction.

"Арина-балерина" (Arina the ballet-dancer). From an old comedy show, "Around laughter".

"Я люблю буги-вуги" (I love boogie woogie). A song written by Mike Naumenko from the band Zoopark. Well, if you've heard T-Rex' "We love to boogie", you'd know (more or less) what this song is about. Lipsynch.

And — sorry, couldn't resist, even though i know the guy's all over the place — another "solo" number from Nikolay Fomenko the bass player (well, at least, it's the only song of the four represented that makes at least some sense. And it's not my fault that he got to "sing" on most of the best (or, to be precise, most of my favourite) songs by the band). Old lipsynch version from 1987 and the one from 20 years later, live.
"Папа был прав" (Dad was right).

Your Dad was telling you since you were a child,
"Baby, money chink is not the most important thing in life,
Baby, there are much more important things in life,
And money's the last thing to care about".

But what's an advice and why should you care
If suddenly you've ran into a prestigious groom,
And then came the hour when you've faced a dilemma —
Either money for real, or happiness for real.

Refrain: Turn around, you've grown older,
Admit you've got tired of glamorous lights,
Lost your love on having become respectable,
But admit that your Dad was right.

You're allright, aren't you? At your 27,
You have everything, perhaps except the problems,
You have looks, manners and profitable marriage,
You've got your share of the cake but something isn't right.

You've got your share of the cake but you're always alone,
You'll have to drain this cup,
You're afraid but you'll have to admit
That you cannot buy friends and you cannot sell love.

Refrain.

But the whole chain is broken if one link's broken.
You'll always will be with the one who's got a purse.
And it's getting harder for you every day, that's true,
But you keep on extending your contract with yourself.

It'd be great to turn everything back, to start over,
But there's no way back in those times,
And only in your dreams, your only guy left there
Is following your steps.

Refrain.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”