String types & tension.

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Gerry

String types & tension.

Post by Gerry »

Hi Mark,
My question relates to bass strings specifically. What I am trying to achieve is reducing the tension on the headstock of this old '64 4001s I've got. I can't find any info anywhere on what guage strings this bass was supplied with when it was built, all I know is they were flatwound. Would Pymramids be the closest? Can't find any guage/tension info on them anywhere.
I've been to as many string sites as I can and what I've been able to gleen is that a pure nickel string of x guage would have lower tension than a steel or chrome string of the same guage. Eg. Nickel strings would be the best in this instance. Right/wrong?
Also flat/round/ground of the same material doesn't matter - should be the same tension if the same diameter? I'm using 35 60 70 90 pure nickel at the moment with good results but would like some more fexibility if I can get it for intonation purposes.

BTW The help & advice you have given me to date have saved this bass & I cannot thank you enough.
Major mods probably not required.

Thanks,
Gerry.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gerry: Pyramid Bass Strings are 45 to 105.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Peter,that is their gauge ...not tension
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes thanks Mark, I was responding to his comment that he was unable to find any information with regard to the gauge of Pyramid bass strings. I leave the tension to you.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Tense ! I'M NOT TENSE!!! WHY DO YOU SAY THAT????
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Mark: I was referring to the tension of the strings. What I meant to say is that I will leave you to comment on the string tension. I made this post quite early this morning and I see the pun J not intended. This topic has always interested me. Are you able to speak to the difference or relationship between the type of string construction and the tension of the string.

rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Peter; a word to the uninitiated regarding Mark;
learn to read some of his comments as though they were being delivered by Groucho Marx, and you'll do much better.He's dead serious about imparting the info you need, but the "delivery" you may need to read between the lines once in a while.
I think he's been quite the asset here.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

The larger the core the stiffer the string .That is the deal.

Violin strings are almost no core and just windings,that is the reason for the cost.Or at least one of the reasons.

If you want to make a .024 string that is wound ...there are many ways to do it.
If you use a core of .010 ,then the outer wrap would be a .006 wire.
You could make it 'slinkier' by using a .007 and the outer wrap would be a .007 .

Do you see the pattern?

By changing the speed that the outer wrap goes on you can make it stiffer or looser.

Both with the same gauge.

Now I really hate to burst peoples bubbles about strings ....but as to the plain strings.
For the most part .....they are identical.The only differance is how the ball end is attatched.
All the USa companies are buying 'Musical instrument' grade wire from one source in Sweden .They supply the world with the stuff.
So a .010 wire from brand X is the same as a .010 from brand Z .
The only real differance is the ball end attatchment and the wound strings.

SORRY BUT 100% TRUE!!!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”