Winwood Uses a SS Modeling Amp

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

firstbassman
Advanced Member

Winwood Uses a SS Modeling Amp

Post by firstbassman »

In the December issue of Guitar Player (apparently not up on the website yet) is a very short interview with Steve Winwood. In it he reveals that he uses a Fender Cyber-Twin amp on stage (and in the studio).

This is not necessarily the news of the century but I thought it was interesting. Especially his reasoning (which I have also similarly espoused) that “(one) may get a good sound out of your vintage-style tube amp, but you lose the advantage once you put a mic in front of it and go through the house P.A. system.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Re: Winwood Uses a SS Modeling Amp

Post by soundmasterg »

For me its not as much about the sound as its about the feel, and I'm sorry, but a Fender Cyber-Twin just doesn't have the same touch responsiveness as just about any tube amp. Winwood isn't exactly a big guitar hero or anything either....

Greg
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

This type of comment is weak and poorly thought-out on its face. The tonal colorations of a good tube amp should be accurately reproduced by the house PA (that's what it's designed to do). Only exception is if the house PA is a 1950s era 35W tube unit, in which case just hook it up to a mike for that killer broken-up sound from your harmonica! :lol: :lol:
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

Traffic ---- a seminal rock band. Bought every one of their LPs through "Shootout at the Fantasy Factory" when I was growing up, including the live "Welcome to the Canteen." Steve Winwood occupies a special place in my rock 'n roll consciousness. Perhaps it was because he was so young when he unleashed his soulful voice with The Spencer Davis Group, next with Traffic, a brief excursion with Blind Faith, and then back with Traffic. He was only 15 when he joined The Spencer Davis Group, 18 (almost 19) when he formed Traffic, and 21 when Blind Faith formed. Perhaps it was because of the core group, consisting of Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood, and the in-and-out-and-in-and-out Dave Mason, that put together such an eclectic set of jams and tunes embracing everything from the blues to rock to folk to jazz.

I was fortunate enough to see Traffic at Bill Graham's WInterland in San Francisco. They didn't appear Stateside too often so I knew I had to attend. I wasn't disappointed. I rank it as one of the top three concerts I've ever witnessed. It was January 26, 1973 and my faith in Traffic suffered none and was bolstered exponentially. So, if you did not have the chance to see Traffic live, well........then you don't really know Traffic. You know OF Traffic but you don't know Traffic.

Paul, thanks for the insight into what Winwood professed to be playing through ---- he could play through anything and make it sound good. That's the observation I have to offer.

I just dig this 1972 rendition of "Dear Mr. Fantasy" at the small, intimate Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. His non-reverse Gibson Firebird is just the coolest, man.

Peace, out.......Goofyfoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_nwbTeIN4Y
Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

goofyfoot wrote:I was fortunate enough to see Traffic at Bill Graham's WInterland in San Francisco. They didn't appear Stateside too often so I knew I had to attend. I wasn't disappointed. I rank it as one of the top three concerts I've ever witnessed. It was January 26, 1973 and my faith in Traffic suffered none and was bolstered exponentially. So, if you did not have the chance to see Traffic live, well........then you don't really know Traffic. You know OF Traffic but you don't know Traffic.
I was there, Goofyfoot. It was a big reunion show and a special guest, too. First Traffic did 2+ hours, then came back and announced that Dave Mason was onstage so they played another hour with him. Then they came back again, announced Carlos Santana and played another set. It doesn't get any better than that. I can't describe Traffic live to someone who only heard the records. Awesome doesn't begin...
The show opened with JJ Cale and Jo Jo Gunne. Don't know what time my folks saw me get home :oops:

Love Steve Winwood, love my SS amps too.
All I wanna do is rock!
goofyfoot
Intermediate Member

Post by goofyfoot »

kiramdear wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:I was fortunate enough to see Traffic at Bill Graham's WInterland in San Francisco. They didn't appear Stateside too often so I knew I had to attend. I wasn't disappointed. I rank it as one of the top three concerts I've ever witnessed. It was January 26, 1973 and my faith in Traffic suffered none and was bolstered exponentially. So, if you did not have the chance to see Traffic live, well........then you don't really know Traffic. You know OF Traffic but you don't know Traffic.
I was there, Goofyfoot. It was a big reunion show and a special guest, too. First Traffic did 2+ hours, then came back and announced that Dave Mason was onstage so they played another hour with him. Then they came back again, announced Carlos Santana and played another set. It doesn't get any better than that. I can't describe Traffic live to someone who only heard the records. Awesome doesn't begin...
The show opened with JJ Cale and Jo Jo Gunne. Don't know what time my folks saw me get home :oops:

Love Steve Winwood, love my SS amps too.
.......and I love YOUR post! :wink: Have a shining weekend and keep on keepin' on, fellow Trafficker.......Goofyfoot.
Play on, pick often, jam with any Rickenbacker, and prosper.
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

I've always said that the amp makes a lot more difference to the player alone than it does with a whole band to the person in the balcony (or even the fifth or first row.)

For a touring act using a bunch of pedals and/or presets for a very processed sound, it probably doesn't make sense to take a tube amp (and I never really understand when somebody does hang fifty pedals in front of a boutique amp.)

But, every chance I get, I'm going to play through a good tube guitar amp. I'm not even much of a player, but there is just an added feel, as Greg put it- and my desire to use pedals goes away, since it just sounds good. The way I like to describe the difference between solid state and tube amps is that a solid state amp will reproduce some states of a tube amp, but replicate them at different volumes according to guitar touch. A really good tube amp will provide a great player with an infinite number of different sounds from how he or she interacts with it using the touch of the instrument.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

sharkboy wrote:For a touring act using a bunch of pedals and/or presets for a very processed sound, it probably doesn't make sense to take a tube amp (and I never really understand when somebody does hang fifty pedals in front of a boutique amp
+1000
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Good post, Mark. I agree that when it comes to touch, a good unprocessed tube amp sound can't be beat. I use both kinds of amps for different jobs. So many tools for so many choices, that's what keeps it challenging.
All I wanna do is rock!

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”