I've hopped on the bandwagon!

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

araT

Re: I've hopped on the bandwagon!

Post by araT »

Hi Guys!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!!

admin: Thanks for approving everything so quick!

jdogric12aolcom: I do love those mini-buckers, it's a lovely guitar to play, but as I'm a lil woman it's for sittin' only... the thing weighs 11lbs!

rick_ovic: I'm up in Sydney, but the guitar will be coming from Melbourne! (which is where I'm guessing you are?) yay for fellow aussies!

steverok: Thanks :) I think I'll be leaving her as she is for now, but I'll keep the suggestions in mind! I do love my SG, my first 'pro' guitar, and I've had it over a decade now.. The black ones are hot too!! :twisted:

kiramdear: It's very cool to watch those tuners spin by themselves, I also love the paintjob on them, none of the pictures do it justice.. I bought it mostly as an investment though as they will be worth a bucketload in a couple of years.. The Wolf WST-Mini was actually a gift from a guy in USA on another forum, he'd had a lot of gear stolen, recovered most of it, but was still missing a few pieces, I found one of his '60s Fender Amps listed on eBay with a handle put on to make it look slightly different (but the stains & rips still matched) he got it back, and sent me that to say thanks.. it's a 22.5" scale, they're just little korean cheapies, but incredibly good for what they are - you can find more here http://www.wolfguitar.com/

melibreits: ooooh it'll have a hard time stealing top spot from the AmStd telecaster, that neck feels like it was made just for my hands, the most perfect neck I've ever held.. but I'm sure it'll be sharing #2 with the SG, see The SG holds a special place in my heart (sentimental reasons) too.. I'll be hanging out here plenty, so you never know!

No doubt this will be the first of many ricks to come, who knows what I'll pick next!

Thanks again everyone!! :mrgreen:
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Welcome Tara! Great to see another Sydney-ite join up.

The new Ric will round off that raher formidable collection nicely...until your next attack of GAS...
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Post by ozover50 »

Hi Tara. Welcome from another Melbourne forumite and congrats on the 360/12.

Nice lineup you've got there!! :mrgreen:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Welcome to the forum, Tara.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Great, Tara, looking forward to hearing more from you. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
araT

Post by araT »

Wow, lots of fellow aussies around! Hope the mondayitis isn't killing y'all heheh

kira: I've had a poke around Wolf's site, they have a lot of 19" scale models if you're interested.. you'd want to replace those pickups & tuners ASAP.. but other than that they're pretty OK guitars :)

So, anything you guys think I need to do before the guitar gets here? should I be tracking down some specific songs to learn or is there some must-read info out there? I'm failing at killing time miserably.. I want it NOW!
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Welcome to the forum Tara. I was briefly in your fair city last year when I was on my way back from visiting Howard and the lads in Melbourne.

I think you'll enjoy yourself on the forum. There's a great bunch of people that hang about here.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
araT

Post by araT »

How ironic winston, I've applied for my Canadian permanent residency and will be moving to Toronto in about 2 years (just as soon as they finish approving us), hehe.. it's a small world eh?
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Wolf's models look interesting; I'm intrigued by the 19". But they would require considerable modding to be really useful, as do most short models. My Squier mini ( 22.5") took a lot of mods but now she's my second favorite electric, and the one that usually gets out the most. She's my musical Swiss Army Knife. :mrgreen:

My 320 is the only shortie that makes sense right out of the box, and boy does she make sense!
All I wanna do is rock!
araT

Post by araT »

I have a quick question for anyone in the know..

I ultimately was looking for a 2006 or later 360/12 because of the open classical-guitar-like headstock, but when the 2003 came up listed within Australia and so cheap I couldn't say no..

Are there any tips/tricks to stringing up the octave strings on the older/closed headstocks? have you had a particularly hard time with it or is it relatively easy?

I've ordered a spare set of strings and I'm thinking about buying a 12-saddle bridge, anything else you guys think I need to do before the guitar gets here? should I be tracking down some specific songs to learn or is there some must-read info out there? I'm failing at killing time miserably.. I want it NOW!
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Welcome, Tara! That looks like it's a nice 360/12 that you bought, and your current arsenal is very nice, too!
araT wrote: ... Are there any tips/tricks to stringing up the octave strings on the older/closed headstocks? have you had a particularly hard time with it or is it relatively easy? ...
First of all, prepare to use a lot of patience the first time, as it takes a little getting used to, but once learned it's no big deal. Here is how I do the octaves: I angle the hole in the spindle such that I can get the string fed through a little, then I turn the spindle in the 'tightening direction' while pushing the string a little farther through the hole (too far and the end of the string will bind against the wood in the bottom of the slot). As the end of the string (no tension yet, of course) begins to pass the bottom of the slot, I grab the end with needle-nose pliers and pull it far enough through to leave enough slack for the 2-3 windings when tensioned. I then trim the excess but leave about a half-inch extra for the initial loops around the post. I use the needle-nose pliers to loop the end a couple times around the spindle to get it started, turning the spindle while guiding the string in the slot to prevent unwrapping and binding. As soon as the string grabs tight, any excess can be trimmed.

Makes me think that I need to make a video of this technique.
araT wrote:... anything else you guys think I need to do before the guitar gets here? should I be tracking down some specific songs to learn or is there some must-read info out there? ,,,
There is an old thread about what 12-string songs people play ... let me see whether I can find it ... aha took a while but I found it:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=377790

Hmmm ... not as extensive a list as I originally thought. Here is a 'must have' short list:

Byrds: Mister Tambourine Man; I'll Feel A whole Lot Better; My Back Pages
Beatles: A Hard Day's Night
Eagles: Take It Easy; Lyin' Eyes; Hotel California
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

araT wrote:Hi All ... Long time lurker coming out of the shadows, I've hopped on the bandwagon after 3 weeks of killer GAS, ...
Welcome aboard Tara.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
Ric O'Sound

Post by Ric O'Sound »

Welcome to the forum, Tara. That's a really nice collection of guitars you've got there!
The Fonz says:
"Yo...only nerds don't play Rickenbackers. Aaaay!"
araT

Post by araT »

Thanks for the advice Gary, I can picture what you mean and I'll give it a shot... I worked in a guitar store for many years through high-school and must have stringed/set-up 1000s of guitars, all kinds of trickery, floyd roses & the like.. but not once did I see a 12 string Ric..

So, it was handed off to the courier last night at 5:20pm, their state has a public holiday today so I might not get it tomorrow, but I'd say thursday latest! yipee!! :mrgreen:
araT

Post by araT »

Just got an update, it'll be here tomorrow by midday!! yayyyyy :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen: :D

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”