Needles and Pins Riff in Searchers' Songs

Answers to your questions about The Searchers
admin
Site Admin

Needles and Pins Riff in Searchers' Songs

Post by admin »

The question has often been raised about the influence of the Needles and Pins opening guitar riff on rock groups in general and with respect to The Byrds in particular. I noticed the other day that The Searchers' used it on more than one occasion themselves. Of particular note is the same basic riff on "I'll Be Doggone." Does anyone else hear this resemblance? Are there variations of this same riff in other Searchers' recordings as well?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

Have you also heard the original Jackie DeShannon version? That is a bit harder sounding. Mind you, being involved in helping with the Jackie DeShannon Appreciation Society, perhaps I am a little biased!
(See http://jackiedeshannon.tripod.com/ )End of plug!
If it ain't broke, don't mend it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Alan I have indeed heard the original and I concur that it is "harder sounding." A great composition. Not only was it the Searchers' sound that captured the world but the Jackie's lyrics are a big part of the success of this tune in my view.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Peter,

As they say in the Bronx, "I'm wich you" on I'll Be Doggone". For a variation, listen to the opening of "When I Get Home". Not on the money, but close.
You play the hand they deal you
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Right you are John, a variation of the same Needles and Pins riff is noticeable on "When I Get Home." While we are on the subject, this song is a great one and I am still somewhat amazed that the song was never well received by record buyers. Any thoughts on why? It is rather tentative compared to their hits of the day and perhaps too subdued for the time.

jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Peter,

I think I read somewhere (maybe the Curtis interview) that the key for the song was off for rock 'n roll, and they changed it in the opening, and then dropped to the key it was sung in. Personally, I always thought the song sounded a little weary or tired and forced. It may be from the fact that John, Mike and Frank weren't too hot on it, but Chris insisted (developing fissures?)"I'll Be Missing You" played the same concept, but much better. Plus, there's a whiff of the Spector Wall of Sound on it that played much better on "Each Time". An experiment that didn't quite work.
Tim

Post by Tim »

My own feeling is that "Goodbye My Love", "He's Got No Love" and "When I Get Home" all mined the same vein and suffered from the law of 'diminishing returns'. None of them rank amongst my favourite Searchers' tracks.

I remember seeing The Searchers play live in the Autumn of 1965, They introduced "When I Get Home" as their next single and urged us all to buy it. I can't remember it making much of an impression on me (and I didn't buy it).

A month or so later I heard "Take Me For What I'm Worth" which did impress me (and I rushed out to buy it!).
RJHC

Post by RJHC »

_I NOTICED MOST OF THE SONGS ON SEARCHERS #4

(KAPP) HAVE THE SPECTORLIKE WALL OF SOUND IN

THEM .
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

I noticed that too. "Searchers No. 4" has always been one of my favorite Searchers albums. Looked like they were experimenting w/ echo, distortion ("You Can't Lie To A Liar"), and overdubbing. I was somewhat disappointed when they never followed up on that stuff w/ "Take Me For What I'm Worth". But you can catch a whiff of it on "Searchers" and "Love's Melodies"
alancheshire
Veteran RRF member

Post by alancheshire »

The Searchers LPs issued in the US were, I think, completely different from those issued in the UK. I would be interested to see a track listing of No 4.
If it ain't broke, don't mend it.
jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

Alan,

"Searchers No. 4"(Kapp:

Side 1: You Can't Lie To A Liar
Goodbye My Love
Don't You Know Why
Does She Really Care ForMe
So Far Away
I'll Be Doggone

Side 2: Each Time
Till I Met You
I'm Your Loving Man
Be My Baby
Four Strong Winds
He's Got No Love

Hope that helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Needles and Pins riff also surfaces on Magic Potion which is evident at the beginning of the song.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I consider that you can safely add "Hearts in Her Eyes" to the Searchers' list of songs that use a variation of the "Needles and Pins Riff." This song has a great Rickenbacker 12 string.

jjr
Veteran RRF member

Post by jjr »

There's a whiff of the riff in "Ain't Gonna Kiss Ya" as well.

Return to “Searchers' Forum: by Roy Clough”