1964 365 pics, story, and questions

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

analogpackrat

Re: 1964 365 pics, story, and questions

Post by analogpackrat »

leftybass wrote:Hi Doug, and welcome....sorry it took me a bit to chime in here, but I've had too many irons in the fire lately......

If you would need any reference points on originality for your '64 365, I have a '64 360/12 that was made in the same month as your guitar. Mine is DL 793, you can see pics of it in the registry. Let's compare some notes... :wink:

BTW, it is my opinion that the tuners and the knobs are original and correct for your 365, and they are Van Ghent tuners. The knobs on your guitar are identical to the ones on my 360/12.
I need to add my three to the registry. You're '64 looks great. I see your PUPs have the older slotted screws in the corners. Take a gander at DL831--what a figure on the back of that thing! I wonder what was covered up in the necessary refin of mine? Sniff. Are the toasters on yours both long pole? Do you have any pictures of the internals? I wonder if yours is also marked "365."

I see that there is also another 360S-12 from 1972 in the registry. Serial number is quite close to mine (same month) and it is located in my home state (South Carolina). How bizarre! Maybe they did make a batch of these in '72.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

analogpackrat wrote:I need to add my three to the registry. You're '64 looks great. I see your PUPs have the older slotted screws in the corners. Take a gander at DL831--what a figure on the back of that thing! I wonder what was covered up in the necessary refin of mine? Sniff. Are the toasters on yours both long pole? Do you have any pictures of the internals? I wonder if yours is also marked "365."

I see that there is also another 360S-12 from 1972 in the registry. Serial number is quite close to mine (same month) and it is located in my home state (South Carolina). How bizarre! Maybe they did make a batch of these in '72.
That 'other' 360S/12 is the one that was owned by John Williams, a regular here and from SC.....it has been out of his mitts for a while now I think, out there----somewhere-----I am pretty sure that a small batch of these were made in '72 for export.....

And yes, both of the p/ups on my 12-string are long-pole toasters.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

leftybass wrote:Hi Doug, and welcome....sorry it took me a bit to chime in here, but I've had too many irons in the fire lately......

If you would need any reference points on originality for your '64 365, I have a '64 360/12 that was made in the same month as your guitar. Mine is DL 793, you can see pics of it in the registry. Let's compare some notes... :wink:

BTW, it is my opinion that the tuners and the knobs are original and correct for your 365, and they are Van Ghent tuners. The knobs on your guitar are identical to the ones on my 360/12.
I was wondering when you were going to appear here John! When I saw this thread this morning, I thought about your '64 12 and how it's the best comparison regarding the guitar mentioned.

My old 64 4001 DL 837 had the same blank silver knobs too...
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

John, my '64 375 is DL781, so it seems our guitars were made perhaps within a few days of each other. Neat stuff. I see yours has some open frame tuners. I guess they were using all different kinds of them at that time. I've started another thread with pics of my 360S-12. Check it out.

A P
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

The open-back Kluson tuners on my 12-string are a type that was used very sparingly on some 12-string Rickenbackers in the latter half of 1964 from what we've seen.....some of the 1st batch of 450-12s made in 1964 have them, and my 360/12 is one of two 360/12s I've seen from 1964 that used them......the other one was owned by Carl Wilson of The Beach Boys.

They were widely used back in the day on other guitars, the Gretsch Duo-Jet is one that comes to mind....not widely used on Rickenbackers, though....
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

John,

Very interesting. I perused some of the gallery and register photos and found a handful of examples with the same Van Ghent tuners as mine. I remember when I picked it up after having the new bridge installed. The tech whined about those tuners and recommended that I replace them. Glad I didn't! I'll just have to live with their quirks.

A P
If it is to be, it is up to me.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

You could always replace them with tuners that work better, and hang on to the old ones for returning the guitar to it's original state.
Ka is a wheel.
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

True, but the Van Ghents have a single mounting screw. I don't want to drill. I also don't want a modern looking set of tuners. Given that, I think I'm stuck unless there are "vintagey" looking single screw tuners out there.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Wow, I'm late to the party here! Doug, cool guitars! I owned a '72 360S/12 just like yours. I sold it back in '00 - '01. I know that Voltage had one for sale back then too. I have a '64 365, serial number DL 803, but it is in need of a full resto. It has newer tuners on it now but I can still still see the outline of Van Ghents. Also, mine has the original knobs with no lettering.
Attachments
7212frntcu.jpg
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

Doug, I have a 1965 365 with Van Ghents, and they don't turn easily. The buttons slip on the post a bit, and I worry that a lot of pressure will rip them off. I took off the backs and oiled, but it seems the problem is in the arm of the tuner. The guitar is in all original shape, so I have resigned it as a collector piece.

Post your photo's with your registration (the front and back of the original pickguard are great)

Great guitars, and both are from transitional periods, really nice.
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

David,

Sorry to hear about your tuners jamming up on you. I guess I'm lucky--mine still turn fairly easily and the buttons are in very good condition. Backlash is my only problem. I'll update my entry in the database when I get a chance. Someone magically added my photos of the 360S-12 after I registered it and I've been too lazy to add pics for my others.

Is your 365 FG? I'll look for it in the registry.

Cheers,
A P
Woodie

Post by Woodie »

analogpackrat wrote:True, but the Van Ghents have a single mounting screw. I don't want to drill. I also don't want a modern looking set of tuners. Given that, I think I'm stuck unless there are "vintagey" looking single screw tuners out there.
Actually, I believe when you remove the cover screw on the Van Ghents, you'll see that there are 2 screws holding the uncovered tuner body to the headstock. They have a different hole alignment than the Klusons from that period, though. I was lucky to buy two NOS sets from RIC before they were discontinued. Still have them somewhere...
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

Doug, checking the guitar, it is actually a 1966 365 FG, FD1449. Who can keep track?

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”