(NOT) Moving to a new web server

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

(NOT) Moving to a new web server

Post by gibsonlp »

Hi guys,
After running out of memory 2 weeks ago I decided that aside from getting more RAM - we can get our server into a diet...
This means: Goodbye bloated and memory hungry apache and Hello slim and fit nginx!

The change will take place later on today. Everything should be pretty much the same.
I still have some apache directives I need to replicate (many local .htaccess files).
I'll update this post as soon as the change has taken place.

Gil.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Moving to a new web server

Post by admin »

Thanks Gil. We await the good news.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Bighouse
Intermediate Member

Post by Bighouse »

gibsonlp wrote:Hi guys,
After running out of memory 2 weeks ago I decided that aside from getting more RAM - we can get our server into a diet...
This means: Goodbye bloated and memory hungry apache and Hello slim and fit nginx!

The change will take place later on today. Everything should be pretty much the same.
I still have some apache directives I need to replicate (many local .htaccess files).
I'll update this post as soon as the change has taken place.

Gil.
Thank you Gil, Peter, et al for providing this great site. Have you all ever considered charging a small yearly (heck, even optional) fee via paypal or some venue to allow you to make hardware upgrades as necessary without having to shell money out from your own pockets?
Because I told you before- oh, you can't do that.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Bighouse wrote:Have you all ever considered charging a small yearly (heck, even optional) fee
Good idea! It's not that insane to let the users contribute in covering the costs. Thanks for running and maintaining this very useful site! :D
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Re: (NOT) Moving to a new web server

Post by gibsonlp »

Apparently nginx has some surprises,

So until I manage to work around them or fix them - the move will have to wait.
Sorry for the false alarm.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Glad it's working out Peter. I was afraid you'd be asking us to help carry boxes and guitars. :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks Gil. Moving to nginx will give us something to look forward to. I appreciate the planning skills and technical talents that you provide here that continues to allow the RRF to go forward. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”