THD Hotplate -- which one?

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

collin

THD Hotplate -- which one?

Post by collin »

I'm looking to buy an Attenuator to use with my Marshall Bluesbreaker (JTM45 50w combo), so I can play at more humane volume levels. The THD hotplate seems to be "THE" Attenuator to get, so I'm shopping around.

I'm not too knowledgeable about amps----how do I figure out how many ohms it is?

There are like 8 different types of Hotplates, and I just want to make sure I'm getting the right type... :?:
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Re: THD Hotplate -- which one?

Post by kennyhowes »

Thought you were selling that amp! :)

I think it takes an 8ohm HotPlate. What's the total speaker impedance?
collin

Post by collin »

It's still up, but when the house was empty yesterday I cranked up......kinda changing my mind again!

Still love it, if I can tame the beast....

I'll check the impedance later today, thanks Kenny.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Dude, you and the Bluesbreaker are best friends...I don't get why you're selling it, but then again you never understood why I sold the 660/12 and the 1997SPC, but I guess it's that karma thing we all know about.

If the Bluesbreaker sells, what will be your main rig?
collin

Post by collin »

Yep, yep....been through a few BB's in my time.

To be perfectly honest, the hardest part about the Bluesbreaker is that it's literally just a couple inches too large to fit in the trunk of my car. I've thought about having a slightly smaller cabinet made, but I'm not super tied to this particular amp (though as I said before, it sounds killer, and I may just keep it).

If it does sell, I recently picked up a Ceriatone 18 watt Marshall "Baby Bluesbreaker" clone for super cheap. Crazy loud for a smaller combo, and satisfies the sound requirements.

Been looking around for something else though too---main requirements are big volume, small size ( < 27x21x11), and capable of clean. I might end up looking at some vintage Fender stuff (Vibrolux, Bassman, Tremolux)---blackface or blondes. Choices, choices.... :)
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

collin wrote:Been looking around for something else though too---main requirements are big volume, small size ( < 27x21x11), and capable of clean. I might end up looking at some vintage Fender stuff (Vibrolux, Bassman, Tremolux)---blackface or blondes. Choices, choices.... :)
The Egnater Rebel 30 fits those requirements nicely, and you can dial in as much 6V6 or EL84 power tube that you want. They are very, very loud, have nice clean headroom yet can get very crunchy on channel 2. I have a Rebel 20 head And I use it with various custom made 1x12 and 2 x 12 bottoms using Emminence Tonkerlite speakers, or a Vox AD212 cab. No problem playing small to medium size venues, and I can carry in my guitar, pedalboard, head and 1 x 12 bottom all in one trip, no back damage. The Rebel 30 combo is 30 watts (my head is 20 watts), has a few more features than the head, and it is only 19"(L) x 13" (W) x 15" (H). http://www.egnateramps.com/Rebel30112.html

Very Rick friendly. Hmm. I see they have a head version of the 30 available now too. Looks like I'll be adding another head to the arsenal...
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
collin

Post by collin »

hmm, thanks Dean!

I keep seeing those at GC, I should plug in and check em out. They seem pretty well-built too.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

collin wrote:Been looking around for something else though too---main requirements are big volume, small size ( < 27x21x11), and capable of clean. I might end up looking at some vintage Fender stuff (Vibrolux, Bassman, Tremolux)---blackface or blondes. Choices, choices.... :)
Vibrolux's are cool. I'd suggest a Twin, but it's as big as a Bluesbreaker. The Showman could possibly work for you.
collin

Post by collin »

Twin, Showman = TOO much clean. No breakup=no bueno.

It's only a problem when it's all breakup, with no clean options.

I'm checking out Vibrolux's and talking to a guy about a UK-made Vox AC-15 (not a huge Vox fan though, I might give it a shot..)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

One of my Twin Reverb amps is a customized, half power model with a tube rectifier; it's pretty cool, but it probably still puts out too much clean headroom for what you want, Collin. :D

I had the privelege of playing through Kenny Howes' THD hotplate-equipped AC 30 at SCARF. It sounded pretty cool! :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Try a Princeton Reverb Amp or better yet a Headstrong Lil King Reverb with a 12" speaker in stead of the PR's 10" speaker.

My early '70s PR has a Celestion G12M-70 in it that sounds great. :D
Ric-O-Buc

Post by Ric-O-Buc »

Silverface Deluxe Reverb
sharkboy

Post by sharkboy »

The hotplate is great, but it isn't the only attenuator. I am a huge fan of THD and own several of their products.

I Like the Weber Mass (2 or 3), since it is a reactive load (works like a speaker) and has some limited eq function.

FYI: I recommend using an attenuator that is rated minimally at twice the rated power of your amp.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Ric-O-Buc wrote:Deluxe Reverb
I know I'm tooting my horn too much, but I can get some good breakup with my Blackface version. Add a Bassman/Bandmaster 2X12, and I'm sure it'll be loud enough.

The only time I've ever tried a Twin was at the local music store. I never tried takin' it to 10, because I'm polite in a music store. I hear it doesn't get a lot of breakup.

What about a Super Reverb? Paul W loves and knows a lot about this amp, perhaps he can chime in on the subject.
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

JakeK wrote:...The only time I've ever tried a Twin was at the local music store. I never tried takin' it to 10, because I'm polite in a music store. I hear it doesn't get a lot of breakup.
That's why they call it the king of clean.
"The best things in life aren't things."

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”