Talk me out of selling my 360-12, to get a Trek 7.5 FX

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rob_u
Veteran RRF member

Talk me out of selling my 360-12, to get a Trek 7.5 FX

Post by rob_u »

The title says it all! I need to step up from my Trek Navigator 2.0 comfort bike, to a faster Trek 7.5 FX hybrid bike, but I have no money. I have two great acoustic guitars (a Guild DV-52, and a Yairi DY-80-12), a Stratocaster Ultra, as well as a Jazz bass that I play at Church. I don't record with the RIC anymore, have never played it at church, and only occasionally get it out to play about 9 songs. The catch is, if I sell the RIC, I'll probably never justify getting one again. The bottom line is, that I'll use the bike more often, and for a better purpose (fitness and some organized rides) than the the RIC, but I keep going back and forth trying to decide.

I've cross posted this on a Bike Forum under the title "Talk me INTO selling my Rickenbacker 360-12 to get a Trek 7.5 FX Hybrid Bike" just to get a balanced response.

Thanks, Rob
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Talk me out of selling my 360-12, to get a Trek 7.5 FX

Post by kiramdear »

rob_u wrote: if I sell the RIC, I'll probably never justify getting one again.
That's why I wouldn't do it. You can always agree with yourself to get another bike, it seems to me. :wink:
All I wanna do is rock!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Rob, tell us more about your 360-12. From your avatar, it's obviously a MG. What year? What would you be looking to get for it? How much is the new bike you want? If you want some good advice, let's be specific.

BTW, what are you doing -- biking in Michigan this time of year? :wink:

Consider: Holiday Season = not good time to be selling Ricks or any other instruments.
rob_u
Veteran RRF member

Post by rob_u »

libratune wrote:Rob, tell us more about your 360-12. From your avatar, it's obviously a MG. What year? What would you be looking to get for it? How much is the new bike you want? If you want some good advice, let's be specific.

BTW, what are you doing -- biking in Michigan this time of year? :wink:

Consider: Holiday Season = not good time to be selling Ricks or any other instruments.
It's a 2003, with a new (wider spaced) bone nut, and a push/pull pot with the .0047 cap for the bridge pickup (stock high gains)

I'm looking to get what I can for it, they sell for $1600 to $1800 on eBay. I've been on eBay since 1998, but I don't really like selling on it anymore. If I sell it locally to a dealer who knows what I'll get - but at least it wouldn't be a hassle involving shipping/insurance. That's all another part of the problem.

The bike is about $900, so I'd plan to have some cash left-over.

I'm riding my old bike on a trainer in the basement (and even THAT'S too cold sometimes)! :lol:

I thought (apparently in error) that the holiday season would be a good time. What's the best time of year to sell?

Thanks again, Rob
buchrob

Post by buchrob »

People are often looking for money for the holiday season. You've answered your own question since you really need the bike about 10x more than the Ric 12.

In the past few weeks, I've offered lower-than-advertised eBay prices and had offers accepted for Gretsch and Ric on the understanding that $$$ comes fast.

Nobody wants to sit with discretionary merchandise for sale in January when the potential buyers are opening Santa's bills.

Selling to a dealer is a sure way to get the lowest price, but at least you don't have the hassle of dealing with the general public via eBay or classifieds.
collin

Post by collin »

Pretty simple.

Historically speaking, your Rickenbacker is an appreciating asset, and I can't imagine a new bike would be anything but a depreciating asset (as it becomes used, and newer technology replaces old etc).

Of course, your decision shouldn't be based on value alone....you have to think rationally and gauge which item will bring you the most satisfaction, but I'd have to imagine the Rickenbacker would be the smarter choice.

Then again, what do you expect people on the Rickenbacker Resource Forum to say? :lol:
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

As a cyclist and a Rickenbacker player I can easily say to keep the Rick.
Unless you have a mk 1 or 2 Raleigh Chopper, a bike will only go down in value.
A Rickenbacker will vary a bit, but usually hold it's value (more than any other asset)

Eden.
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

rob_u wrote:....I need to step up from my Trek Navigator 2.0 comfort bike, to a faster Trek 7.5 FX hybrid bike......
Rob, here's something I'd urge you to consider....why do you "need" to step up? If it's a matter of being involved in amateur or professional racing, I could understand a genuine need. Are you sure you don't just "want" a nicer bike?

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that, but as you think through this, it's probably wise to frame the issue with the appropriate language so you can make a fair comparison. If it's a "want" rather than a "need" then another potential alternative is to keep the RIC, and save enough money to purchase the bike. You'd have to wait a bit, but delaying "wants" never killed anyone. You also said that you'd use the bike more often and for a better purpose (fitness); aren't you already doing that with your current bike? How will a new one improve that?

Just a thought....
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Sell the acoustics instead; a Rickenbacker guitar is way cooler than any acoustic, or bicycle in my book. :mrgreen:

Full Disclosure: I have the Johnny Ramone outlook on acoustic guitars.

I like to cycle as well. If you sell the Rick to buy something practical like the bike, I think you're right, you'll not buy another Rick (and will kick yourself constantly for selling it), while if you keep the Rick and still want the bike, you'll find a way to buy the bike. :)

FYI: walking is free. I put on a bunch of weight at one point and was able to take it off by waking up a half hour earlier each morning and walking two miles; I dropped the weight, and had a lot more energy within a couple of months. It's not as much fun as mountain biking, but it works. :)
Last edited by paologregorio on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I've bought and sold WAY more bikes than guitars. With bicycles, it always seems that the technology is improving, so the next new bike will be even better than the last. No so with guitars, new ones are great, but old ones have something that just can't be replaced with a new one.

Keep the Rick, hold off on the bike until you can get it without selling the Rick...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Can you play "Mr. Tammbourine Man" on any bike?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

How many months out of the year can you cycle in Michigan, safely? QED
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

paologregorio wrote:Sell the acoustics instead; a Rickenbacker guitar is way cooler than any acoustic, or bicycle in my book. :mrgreen:
+1!
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Bikes will continue to come and go. A Rick is a lifetime purchase. But hey, guitars need to be played!
ken_j
RRF Consultant

Post by ken_j »

admin wrote:How many months out of the year can you cycle in Michigan, safely? QED
6 or 7. reduce that by 1 or 2 if you're a Yooper.
"The best things in life aren't things."

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”