Talk me out of selling my 360-12, to get a Trek 7.5 FX

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

rob_u
Veteran RRF member

Re: Talk me out of selling my 360-12, to get a Trek 7.5 FX

Post by rob_u »

jimk wrote:So Rob, after three days, what's the verdict? Have you been talked out of selling your Rick yet? Inquiring minds....and all that.
JimK
rob_u wrote:okay, I expected most everyone here to tell me to keep the RIC, but I didn't expect half of the bike forum people to tell me that as well. Every time I think about my RIC when it's in the case, I consider selling it, but as soon as I take it out - it looks at me with that one big cat-eye, and I can't do it. So I guess no new bike this spring. I guess I'll have to train hard so that I can do a couple of 100 mile rides my comfort bike - they say it's like going 130 on a road or hybrid.
Like I said, I'll be keeping the 360-12. I've owned three at separate times, and yes, the first time I sold my 330-12 off, I regretted it later (the second one was a 620-12, that I traded towards my current 360-12). This 360-12 is the best of the bunch, the 330-12 wasn't as "musical", especially unplugged, and the 620-12 had an uncomfortable body, and a skinnier neck. I've also put some work into the 360-12, I made a new wide-spaced bone nut, and put a push-pull pot in with a .0047 cap on it. With the way the neck feels, and the sound I get out of, I would have trouble replacing it later - even if I had the money. I just play my acoustics much more than my electrics (other than my Bass practice for Church), so I'll just hope I get more use out of the RIC in the future - but maybe in the future I'll want a 4003 to replace/supplement my Jazz Bass.

As far as the bike goes (for those of you who into it), I'll have to wait on that, there's no money for any bike at any price right now. Although the more I look at it, the more I think that a 7.2 FX with an upgraded cassette, and slicks would be enough for me (maybe a used project some day). It will just be an extra challenge doing those Century rides next summer on a Trek Navigator 2.0 Comfort Bike.

Thanks for the all of the input,

Rob
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

rob_u wrote:... Every time I think about my RIC when it's in the case, I consider selling it, but as soon as I take it out - it looks at me with that one big cat-eye, and I can't do it. ...
Been there, done that! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

I think you definitely made the right choice. The bike will always be available in the future, or a better model, and the nature of bike construction means that they are pretty consistent from bike to bike(within the same model). Whereas with a guitar, if you have one that really fits you, don't give it up and expect to find that same feeling again easily.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”