Capacitors on '67 RoMo 1998

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

westaussie

Capacitors on '67 RoMo 1998

Post by westaussie »

Although I've not had cause to run a critical eye over my guitar prior to now, I have just realised that the capacitors may have been changed. They are both .022 uF, (as opposed to what I gather the originals were, - .047 uF?)
Although I have not changed anything, if they are not originals, the possibility exists that the previous owner may have been attempting to change the sound characteristics. (It may explain why he sold it after just a couple of years, he may have been trying to get a sound that this guitar was just not going to give him.)
This might also explain why it has always seemed to have had a lot of treble in comparison to some of my other guitars.
Seriously thinking of putting a pair of .047uF caps in.
Opinions?

P.S. Just changed the heading from 1988 to 1998. Duh! Thanks to Libratune for the PM pointing out the error. :)
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Re: Capacitors on '67 RoMo 1998

Post by weemac »

Are the caps big blue ones that say "Ajax Molded" on them?

Eden.
westaussie

Post by westaussie »

weemac wrote:Are the caps big blue ones that say "Ajax Molded" on them?

Eden.
No. Small green marked 223J. I only recently lifted the control plate, just to check on the pot date codes. (They came back as June '67, which seems about right.) After seeing a couple online that showed big blue caps, I saw that mine were different and had a look at the values.

If they are not originals as I suspect, my assumption is that the original owner had them changed for whatever reason.
There is also one period since 1971 when the guitar was not in my possession, - about 15 years ago it was stolen. Luckily, it was recovered after a few months. I guess the possibility exists that the person/s who had it during that time might have changed caps. The exterior was unchanged and undamaged and I didn't think to look further.
weemac
Veteran RRF member

Post by weemac »

The caps are replacable. Get onto ebay and serch for "Ajax .047" you may find some that have been pulled from a fender amp or something from time to time.
I put a set into my 74 4001 that I got for 99c (plus $15 postage) I quite like the sound of them.....

Eden.
westaussie

Post by westaussie »

weemac wrote:The caps are replacable. Get onto ebay and serch for "Ajax .047" you may find some that have been pulled from a fender amp or something from time to time.
I put a set into my 74 4001 that I got for 99c (plus $15 postage) I quite like the sound of them.....

Eden.
Thanks for that Eden. :D

Vic
grazioso
Intermediate Member

Post by grazioso »

i would leave those caps alone if you didn't noticed until now ...but well if you really really want to get the rat's nest pretty - either get those ajax/molded blue caps new old stock (NOS) or - get ready that you can get bunch of bad caps pulled from rotten old fender amp by serviceman and dumped on ebay "as-is"...
dusan palka who is also known as grazioso on infamous auction web site
if you want to reach the man and expect an answer please make sure you remove this email address (dusan@palka.com) from your spam block if you have one.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”