Reeves amps

Let's talk guitar amplfiers

Moderator: jingle_jangle

JakeK
RRF Consultant

Reeves amps

Post by JakeK »

International Vintage Guitars has had a Reeves 100 watt head for a while now: http://webcorral.com/Reeves_Custom100_C ... lfront.jpg

So, I plugged a variety of guitars into it, including a '73 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, a Gibson Les Paul Junior, a newer '62 Fender AVRI Strat, a '52 Fender AVRI Tele and a '08 Gretsch 6120-1959. If this is a copy of a Hiwatt, then Hiwatts are versatile amps.

Anyone have any information on Reeves? They remind me of Victoria's copies of Fender Tweed amps, in a way.

Anyone have anything good to say about Hiwatts? I know Mike Snow has a Hiwatt DR-103 half-stack that he loves...
Ric-O-Buc

Re: Reeves amps

Post by Ric-O-Buc »

Dave Reeves designed HiWatt amps. I think they're extremely versatile, hence the reason the originals are so sought after. Live At Leeds? Yeah, there's a little variety of tones on that one.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Reeves amps get a lot of respect, plus they are made in Ohio! :wink:
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

2 power tubes shy of a 103, It's a DR504 Jake, and yep, I love it.
Don't know much about the Reeves amps, but I would hope for the money they deliver.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

There is a guy named EdBass on the Sunn forum at Ampeg who has worked with the Reeves folks on doing a tube bass amp, and he's a guy I trust, and he says they are top notch. Plus I've seen their products and they look that way too.....and we all know vintage Hiwatts kick some serious ***, and have been used by lots of people, Pete Townshend and Dave Gilmour to name a couple. If I had the money I'd buy a Reeves......

Greg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

soundmasterg wrote:If I had the money I'd buy a Reeves......

Greg
+1000! :D

Return to “Greg's Amplifier and Tube Tech Forum: by Greg Simon”