4001 '74 problems!!

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I'm in the Seattle area ...

I can ,and I don't mind ,but I think that there MUST be someone that you can find in the NY,NY ara to do this ....now if you want to I will.

arnquist@email.msn.com
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
JETGLOW

Post by JETGLOW »

Well I have recently come across 2 4001's with truss rod problems. It appears that Rickenbacker does not manufacture these type of truss rods anymore and the newer version does not (or is not garunteed to fit and they do not give refunds if you order them for 40.00). I took an origional set of truss rods to my machine shop and I am re-manufacturing new ones for a couple of my friends. Let me know If you would need a set and I can get them made for you.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I have posted this mod before...

I shorten the threaded and the non threaded ends,cut more threads and then re-install the old same rods.It works every time .
frank_rodio

Post by frank_rodio »

fretless neck clearances
to mark the MD'
i am pretty good at setting up bass guitars (thanks to you and other folks),but i now have a fretless. should the neck relief still be .015 to .020 at the seventh fret(when hold the first and last fret or fret lines down). what is the amount of relief between the string and the fretless finger board supossed to be ????
thanks as always,
frank
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

On a Rick and a maple fretboard Fender you have a new issue to deal with ...the finish of the fretboard.You CAN'T get the Jaco 'growl' like you can on a rosewood or ebony fretboard.At least to my liking.

What fretless are you talking about?

On most fretless I try to get the relief to almost dead straight.This is to make it easiest to play and to keep the strings from moving sideways.Also the biggest strings that you can stand.This will give you MORE of the sound ,less of the muting ,that is common with fretless.

I do kno about Jaco having epoxy installed on his Jazz Basses ..this was to maintain the surface ,as the rosewood was being eaten by the strings .Plus the removal of the frets was done with a pair of pliers and not done very well .The epoxy really helped his bass.

If you are playing a Rick ,the fretboard needs to be sanded 'true'.This should be done to make sure there are no fluctuantions in the neck and to true the surface .This will give you the maximum effect .And a tremendous playing instrument.
To get the maximum sustain ..you might have the saddles reslotted and the bridge chassis blocked from underneath .This can add sustain .I have cut /milled blocks of wood and or non ferrous metals(aluminum or brass) and set the chassis down on them.It does make a difference.
frank_rodio

Post by frank_rodio »

MARK,
i am setting up a carvin frettless for a friend,it has an ebony finger board with no finish. he uses 40-100 round wounds and i have set the neck to almost straight like you have stated and the stings are a little rattley . i set the strings height around 3/32 at the bottom of the board. i will see if he likes it neither of us have played a fretless before that's why i am a little gun shy. but i gather from you that the strings rubbing against the board a little is a normal thing for a fretless? thats what makes that sound?
your advice is repectfully apreciated
tanks,
FRANK
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

There is a thing that bassists call fretless'growl'.Some guys want it and have it set so that you get it ,this is from having a dead straight neck.
Some guys don't want that and just want a good clean tone .

I pull out Joni Mitchell's Hejira CD and play,

Refuge of the Road
Coyote

Then ask them if this is the tone /growl that they want,if no then I adjust accordingly

What makes the sound is the fact that a string vibrates in an eliptical pattern...just like kids twirling a jump rope.
What is happening ...is that half way between the fretted note and the bridge,the string is hitting the fretboard.Depending on their attack of the string ,this is more pronounced with more attack.
If they test the bass NOt plugged in and it rattles too much ,plug them in .

This is the same as any instrument ,but a fretless has it's own tone and like players whose STRATS never rattled on their low E string EVER before(that always makes me chuckle)....I just plug them in and start the rattle setup process until I find a point where it is comfortable .
Then I put on some SRV and JIMI and let them listen to the Pro Rattle.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”