US V UK 9

Remembers classic songs from the late 1950s and 1960s
royclough
RRF Consultant

US V UK 9

Post by royclough »

Okay here's one that those on other side of pond may well only know of the first version (one hit wonders) which made number 4 in US December 62 and did chart in UK making number 46 in UK in February 63.

The UK cover version made number 10 in UK charts also in February 63

admin
Site Admin

Re: US V UK 9

Post by admin »

Both of these songs are interesting in their own way and I can see why the theme was well received on both sides of the Atlantic in the early 1960s. Some tips if you like on how to foster a relationship by a young woman who knows "something about love."

The original by the Exciters has the vocal front and center and sung in the Key of F I believe (musicologists forgive me if I am in left field) with the lead vocalist singing toward the top end of her register allowing for a more for forceful presentation that has lots of energy. This cuts both ways, however, with her vocals at times sounding harsh to me and perhpas at the sacrifice of some diction. The backing vocalists compliment her efforts and allow for the "wall of sound" effect. The backing instrumentation is just that, in the background with a double bass and drums that take a backseat to the vocal. Don't you just love it when the name of the group, often in the case of a one-hit wonder, is chosen based on the theme of the first record released. By way of illustration, The Leader of the Laundromat by The Detergents. But I digress. Back to "Tell Him." I believe that this producer got it right, striking a nice balance between vocals and orchestration.

The UK version is, for all practical purposes, a carbon copy of the Exciters. Billie Davis has an interesting but somewhat different vocal quality which at times to me is more defiant than the instructional lesson provided by the Exciters. While I liked the beginning of this version better I was quickly worn down by the producer's choice of increasing the volume of the electric bass and drums into the mix until it competes rather than supports the vocal. This has a kind of pub atmosphere (oom pa pa) quality that tormented me until the end. Perhaps this is why Robert Stigwood (how dare I critique him) decided to cut the track off sharply as opposed to the extended ending for the Exciters.

In the end, I was worn down by the bass and drums in Billie's version and it is a deal breaker for me. So this week, for the first time, I am giving the edge to the Exciters from the US.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Excellen critique as always, we differ but that's what it's all about
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

It's definitely the Billie Davis version for me Roy... I used to love her voice and her looks... and back in the 60s I remember seeing her with The Rolling Stones way back in the good old days of concerts held at the old Gaumont cinemas and she was one of my dad's favourites too, along with Susan Maughan. I'm sure she was singing on one of Mike Sarne's songs (not my favourite Come Outside, as that was Wendy Richards) I forget the title of it at the moment....

In October I'm going to see Marty Wilde, Eden Kane, Jet Harris etc and I'm sure I remember Billie Davis being involved with Jet Harris at some time and they were injured in a car crash.... It would have been good if she was also on this tour!!!!!

This reminds me... didn't there used to be a lot of car crashes with pop people in the old days.... sadly ending the life of some people, like Eddie Cochran, my Gran's favourite Dicky Valentine and Marc Bolan of T-Rex to name a few! There were also songs about car crashes like Leader of the Pack....
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

The Song with Mike Sarne Sylvia was Will I What and yes there were a number of songs about car crashes Tell Laura I Love Her, Terry (motorcycle) to name but two.
JeffZ

Post by JeffZ »

This one is pretty evenly matched...I'll go with the Exciters because I liked the singer's voice a bit more, it sounded like Billie was struggling with the song at points. Didn't Billie cover "Angel of the Morning" towards the end of her career?
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Didn't Billie cover "Angel of the Morning" towards the end of her career?
Yes Jeff good version too but did not chart
its-sylviab

Post by its-sylviab »

JeffZ wrote:This one is pretty evenly matched...I'll go with the Exciters because I liked the singer's voice a bit more, it sounded like Billie was struggling with the song at points. Didn't Billie cover "Angel of the Morning" towards the end of her career?
That was a nice song with several versions and this one is good by PP Arnold...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iYPqN6iQ5k

I also liked her First Cut is the Deepest!
nick_allen
Veteran RRF member

Post by nick_allen »

The nostalgic in me wants to say Billie Davis, but I actually prefer the Exciters version - mainly due to the timbre (? - tone quality) of the lead singer's voice.
chriscurtisfan

Post by chriscurtisfan »

nick_allen wrote:The nostalgic in me wants to say Billie Davis, but I actually prefer the Exciters version - mainly due to the timbre (? - tone quality) of the lead singer's voice.
Interesting, the nostalgic in me wants to say the Exciters version (but I'm here on the US side of the Pond); having never heard BIllie Davis sing anything -- I HAVE to go with the Davis version -- here's why -- the strong drumming sound!! I'm, obviously, a Drummer fan, and, as an example, there is nothing more beautiful than Chris Curtis strong drumming to punctuate "Needles & Pins" to get my attention. (And they did, indeed!)

The only time I feel a need that less is more, when it comes to drumming -- during a slow ballad.

Really enjoyed the BIllie Davis-- new to me -- version!!

Thanks Roy, for one of the high points of my week!
Dedicated to the best Drummer on Planet Earth (RIP) http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisCurtisFan
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

The Exciters. The video is cool as well.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.

Return to “Clough's Classics: by Roy Clough”