Vintage 4001 Aluminium Saddle Dimensions

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

antipodean

Vintage 4001 Aluminium Saddle Dimensions

Post by antipodean »

Hi All,

Sydney luthier Frank Grubisa is working on machining up some aluminium saddles for the classic 4001 gap-tooth tailpiece (the '60s and early 70s aluminium job - not the RI) and we have come across an interesting problem - the three originals I have are totally inconsistent with respect to dimensions, apart from height. I'd be most grateful for input from those of us lucky to have some original saddles as to the average footprint (width and length) and distance between peak and edge (measuring from the edge closest to the peak). Armed with this knowledge, I plan to have a test set run off, and, if these work and the economics make sense, I'll have a few batches run off for spares both for myself and any interested forumites (plus friends, relatives, acquaintances, etc) at cost (i.e. whatever Frank charges plus postage.

For those who are willing, may I please have the requested dimensions in millimetres? Also, any arcane knowledge concerning the old aluminium bridge an saddle assembly would be most appreciated -for instance if the bridges themselves are wildly inconsistent, having saddles machined for other people based on my bridge may not make sese...

Many thanks in advance!!!!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Vintage 4001 Aluminium Saddle Dimensions

Post by jingle_jangle »

How about this idea--have Frank machine up some of the oval bridge parts that hold the saddle, to fit the relief in the sand-cast bridge (it's smaller than the die cast ones, as you know), and make it to fit standard RIC saddles, such as are available from the RIC boutique?

Does that sound feasible? That would allow anyone to use standard saddles. Just an idea--I've never tried this...
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

My take is that it is easier to mill the saddles than the bridge insert.... but you may be onto something Paul! :? I'll be speaking with Frank on Monday or Tuesday to check the feasibility.

In the meantime, saddle dimensions would still be greatly appreciated!
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Evan,

I can bring my RM1999 to Frank if it helps. I'll be in Newtown tomorrow and Sunday.

PM me and we can discuss further.

Cheers,
Brett.
heinpete
Veteran RRF member

Post by heinpete »

gellkeller wrote:Evan,

I can bring my RM1999 to Frank if it helps. I'll be in Newtown tomorrow and Sunday.

Cheers,
Brett.
:shock: ...WOW! A DURF (Down Under RIC Fest)!!! :lol:
Is it the first one? :mrgreen:
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

I am on a holiday right now and have only my 4000 with me. But I am highly interested and will try measuring once home. Please also let us know if you have enough measurements. If it is not necesary I prefer not to take my bass apart. ;-)
68 4001|73 4001 MG|75 4000 MG|79 4001 JG FL|81 4001S AZG|86 4003 MID/BT|86 4003 Shadow|88 4003s Blackstar|89 4003 Grey/BT FL|93 4004 Ci|96 4003S/8 FG|98 4003S/5 JG|05 650D|05 4004Cii/5 TG|08 660/12 JG|18 4003S/5 MID|19 4003S/5 WAL ||TR35B|RB 30||
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

berth wrote:I am on a holiday right now and have only my 4000 with me. But I am highly interested and will try measuring once home. Please also let us know if you have enough measurements. If it is not necesary I prefer not to take my bass apart. ;-)
Hi Bert,

Many thanks or the interest. No need to dismember you bass - loosening a string or two and using a tape measure whilst the saddles are in situ would sufficient! The saddles on my bridge vary by up to 3 mm in "width" (the nut to tailpiece direction, if that make sense). They seem to be more uniform with respect to "length".
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

gellkeller wrote:Evan,

Cheers,
Brett.
I bet that no two are the same size! :lol:

I'll take some of mine this weekend also.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”