Ric 4001 checkered binding - repair advice?

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

henry5
Advanced Member

Ric 4001 checkered binding - repair advice?

Post by henry5 »

I decided to move this as I'm not sure it was in the right place (also for some reason I couldn't see Vibrola properly at dinner....apologies if I should have left it where it was. Apologies also if it has already been answered; as I say, I can't seem to see it).

Hi

I recently bought a '72 Azure which is currently on its way to me; see link (and no I didn't pay that much!).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _999wt_810

As you can see a piece of the outer binding is missing on the top bout, although the checkerboard remains intact. Although this may seem odd to many, rather than replacing the whole outer layer of binding (unless absolutely necessary, which I hope it isn't!) I'd just like to replace the missing piece, preferably with another old piece of binding. You could say I'd like it to retain some of its scars/character, if that makes sense.

Firstly, does anyone have any binding of the approximate size needed (old or new, although old may match better) that may fit? (Paul? Any cast offs from old repairs?) Bear in mind I'm in the UK and I seem to remember there may be regulations about sending this stuff. Secondly, what's the best glue to use? In addition any tips on doing this and getting it as flush as possible would be appreciated. If I think it's going to be troublesome I can take it to my tech but I wouldn't mind a bash myself. Of course if it needs spraying over then I definitely will have to take it to my tech....

Thanks in advance.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Re: Ric 4001 checkered binding - repair advice?

Post by jingle_jangle »

Short answer: It will need spraying over, at least with varnish. Then in most cases, buffed.

Long answer:

1. Color will probably be wrong.

2. Joints will show and I usually touch them up with a bit of paint tinted to match.

3. Binding is universal and the rabbets for it are typically routed a tiny bit undersized. It has to be scraped and sanded flush.

4. See short answer, above.

Shipping regs? yeah--it's not supposed to be air-shipped. Glue? Acetone applied with a brush or syringe is OK for short lengths. Some people use Duco cement. I don't like Duco.
henry5
Advanced Member

Re: Ric 4001 checkered binding - repair advice?

Post by henry5 »

Thanks Paul. Assuming I can set it up ok when I get it, given my preference for very low action (if not I'll just take the hit & move it on) it's just going to be a player anyway, and given there are already cracks in the binding (and with the general wear) I'm not too worried about a perfect match. Sounds like a job for my tech though!

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”