Thanks
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: McGuinn´s Instructional Video

Post by beatbyrd »

nic37 wrote:Hi!
Anyone with McGuinn´s video that would like to share? :D
Thanks
If you were a co-worker or a friend that I saw a lot, I'd certainly lend you my copy. Once we get to strangers who need to do this via the mail, I'd have to say 'nah'. My own beliefs would prevent me from making a copy, so that's also out. The official DVD comes with a small tab booklet and the DVD contains a reasonable amount of info about Rick 12's and Roger's playing style. I've watched the video a few times and will refer back to it occasionally. My advice would be to just pony up the 30 bucks, (or whatever) and watch it at your leisure, anytime that you want. You might also look for a used copy on Amazon or Ebay. If you're serious about learning his techniques, the DVD is well worth the money. Maybe you can find a couple of local folks who would split the cost with you. End of sermon. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

beatbyrd wrote:If you're serious about learning his techniques, the DVD is well worth the money.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I have a copy, and it is worth the money.
JimK
nic37

Post by nic37 »

What about his tuning on the DVD? is it Standard on his Rick?
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

nic37 wrote:What about his tuning on the DVD? is it Standard on his Rick?
No, he tunes ½ step down to E-flat. A bit of a nuisance I think, if you want to play along with the video.
JimK
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Roger's DVD "The 12-String Guitar of Roger McGuinn" is one of the best investments I've ever made. You won't pick up his banjo-rolling technique overnight, but if you spend some time watching him do his magic (preferably in slow motion) you'll pick up many of his secrets.
nic37

Post by nic37 »

jimk wrote:
No, he tunes ½ step down to E-flat. A bit of a nuisance I think, if you want to play along with the video.
JimK
Agree. I wonder why he did that :?:
After all it´s an instructional video.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

nic37 wrote:
jimk wrote:
JimK
Agree. I wonder why he did that :?:
After all it´s an instructional video.
All I can do is speculate, based on my own experience back in the early '70s. Back then, I really don't think many guitar builders quite understood how to keep a 12 string guitar's neck from bowing under the pressure of the strings. So the standard advice was to tune the guitar ½ or even 1 step lower than concert pitch, then use a capo when playing with other musicians. I found that to be true, and good advice on a Yamaha 12 string I owned then. (It was still unplayable above the 7th fret, however.)

Nowadays, perhaps with better metallurgy, or perhaps better understanding of guitar construction, tuning down isn't really necessary anymore. But Roger clings to it out of habit perhaps. Or perhaps he finds it uncomfortable to sing "Turn, Turn, Turn" in D as he did some 46 years ago. Or I could be entirely out to lunch. :mrgreen:
JimK
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Roger has stated that it has nothing to do with his guitar but everything to do with his voice.

The guitar was designed, built, adjusted and performs at its best at concert pitch.
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

johnhall wrote:Roger has stated that it has nothing to do with his guitar but everything to do with his voice.

The guitar was designed, built, adjusted and performs at its best at concert pitch.
I have also heard that he tunes down primarily to make singing easier. If he was tuning down for Rick 12 specific reasons, then his 2 Martins would be at concert pitch. I believe that he tunes these 2 guitars down a half step, as well.
Roger might also like the slightly reduced string tension, with those 68 year old fingers. Just my guess. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”