Dead pickups model 1996

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

Dead pickups model 1996

Post by VRICKY63 »

My wife's reissue 1996 (325) Lennon replica has lost the neck and middle pickup output. Bridge pickup, pot and tone control work fine.
It's too early in the morning to talk about our relationship !
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Re: Dead pickups model 1996

Post by iiipopes »

The mid & neck pickups are wired together. Something is wrong in the selector switch.
BILLYC58

Post by BILLYC58 »

Might just be the selector switch it might be lose ive had this happen I shake them alot when im playing.What I do is take the pickguard off and fiddle with the inside of the switch till it starts working again this has only happened twice to me.
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

While it could also be be a bad connection somewhere between the switch and the output jack (e.g., where the wires are soldered to the bass volume and the "fifth knob" pot), the most likely explanation by far is a problem with your switch. Fortunately, the fix is probably very simple.

If you take off the pickguard and look at the 3-way switch, you can see how the switch works -- everything is out in the open. There are two strips of metal that sit on either side of the switch toggle and two smaller contact strips of metal on the inside. When the switch is pushed down (i.e., bridge position) you can see that it pushes the bottom strip of metal away from the contact, cutting off the neck & middle pickups, and vice versa when you push it up. In the middle position both strips of metal should be touching their respective contact strips. You probably aren't getting a good contact on the neck/middle p/u side because the inside strip of metal isn't touching the outside strip on that side of the switch. If so, bending the inside contact strip very slightly towards the outside with needlenose pliers should fix it.
VRICKY63
Intermediate Member

Post by VRICKY63 »

The switch has good contact between the metal strips in both positions. I've checked for loose or broken wires and found nothing. I know it's probably a simple fix but I can't find anything wrong. I'll ship it back to Rickenbacker this week.
It's too early in the morning to talk about our relationship !

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”