McCartney - Low Point

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

atomic_punk

McCartney - Low Point

Post by atomic_punk »

I was just listening to my Ipod on shuffle and this number came up....years later, can't believe how bad it is. Can't believe Macca had a hand in it. And the talking section....ugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0tgnTah0Dohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0tgnTah0Do[/youtube]
"They make great f***'n basses". - Lemmy, NAMM 2009
ozover50
RRF Consultant

Re: McCartney - Low Point

Post by ozover50 »

I have to agree, Steve..... godawful!! :shock:
"Never eat more than you can lift." - Mr. Moon
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

I rank his duet with Stevie Wonder even lower considering the immense instrumental/songwriting/singing abilities involved.
Rickenbacker player since 1978
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Post by beatbyrd »

Every year, around the holidays, I cringe whenever I hear his, "sim-ply - hav-ing - awonderfulChristmastime" song. Talk about a half hearted effort. I figure it took him 10 minutes to compose it and 2 extra minutes to come up with that cheesy synth part......... This is the same guy who wrote some great songs. John without Paul and Paul without John made for some absolute rubbish from both of them. I also fully agree that both of the songs mentioned earlier are low points, not worthy of a living legend. Tom
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
08 Ric 4003

Post by 08 Ric 4003 »

After Back To The Egg I lost interest in Paul, plus I know Paul loved Linda but come on she should not play or sing to save her life. She was a photographer after all and was loaded with daddy's money before she met him. Let the musicians and singers do there job and Linda you stand on the side of the stage and watch.
Melma

Post by Melma »

I like to kind of pretend that Macca disappeared sometime in the 70's, came back around the time of Anthology/Flaming Pie ... and the other stuff was just a sick prank by an impersonator.

It's no crazier than the idea that he died in the 60's. And it's preferable to the idea that it's really Macca who wrote some of this trash. Usually I'm shouted down for saying this, but seriously - "Spies Like Us" ?? "Press" ?? "My Brave Face" ?? (actually that one's sort of catchy, I hate the video though). "Hope of Deliverance" hurts me especially.

I can't tell you how happy I was when I heard Flaming Pie. I really liked Chaos and Creation, and Memory Almost Full - although it needs to be said that the latter has the worst production of any album I've heard by a major artist. I know there's a loudness war going on, but seriously...
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Jay Leno made fun of his duet with Stevie Wonder (Ebony and Ivory) one time, NBC cracks down on YT postings of their current stuff, so there is no video.

I never cared for "The Girl Is Mine", his duet with Michael Jackson.

His debut solo album McCartney had some good stuff, especially "Maybe I'm Amazed", but I think those were White Album-Abbey Road candidates that didn't raise their hands. Imagine if "Teddy Boy" had been a single over "Hey Jude". I've enjoyed his later solo stuff, like Driving Rain and Memory Almost Full, but there's a LOT of stuff I'd rather not listen to. He is a talented musician, but he's had some rather silly stuff.

John's solo stuff doesn't impress me very much, and neither does Ringo's. George was about the only one who only got better after The Beatles' breakup, in my opinion, but I've only listened to All Things Must Pass, Cloud Nine and Let It Roll: Songs of George Harrison, I've heard terrible things about Gone Troppo. Of course, I'm hoping at Christmas to have all of George's Dark Horse stuff...maybe.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

One of the best Macca albums of the 70's was Wings at the Speed of Sound IMO. The production on it was fantastic. That album defines a well recorded band in my opinion. A lot of the songs on there were pretty good too.

Linda sang WAY better than Yoko does. If you listen to a lot of Macca's solo stuff, she is singing harmony backup, and the songs wouldn't be as good without her voice on there. She also sang on George's All Those Years Ago and did a decent job. She wasn't a great singer though, I will agree with that...haha.

Greg
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Post by Ain'tGotNoPokemon »

McCartney's solo stuff (Wings and whatever else) hasn't been my favorite of his output. For me, he'll always be best complimenting John, George, and Ringo.

I'd say Broadstreet was a low enough point; Flaming Pie being a great exception.
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

Linda sang WAY better than Yoko does.
Talk about setting the bar low ...
johnnysain

Post by johnnysain »

Band on the Run was McCartney in the 70's....I don't hear many complaints against that one....
Rickenbacker player since 1978
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

johnnysain wrote:Band on the Run was McCartney in the 70's....I don't hear many complaints against that one....
But there are those out there who simply don't care for it. :wink: I grew up with McCartney's solo material; more so than the Beatles.
egosheep
Intermediate Member

Post by egosheep »

I wouldn't call "The Girl Is Mine" a low point... Paul has certainly hit some low points, though! "Freedom" springs to mind.

TGIM is not even one of Paul's songs, Michael wrote it! So it seems silly to call it one of Paul's low points.
Great Ramp In My Opinion.
Melma

Post by Melma »

My guess is that it's attributed as being one of his low points because he's a high profile kind of guy. Being as visible as McCartney is, you can't help but assign some of the blame to him - he could've probably said no at some point.
Ain'tGotNoPokemon

Melma wrote:My guess is that it's attributed as being one of his low points because he's a high profile kind of guy. Being as visible as McCartney is, you can't help but assign some of the blame to him - he could've probably said no at some point.
As long as he enjoyed it, or believed it would sell...

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”