Vox Amps Big vs. Small

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

paologregorio

Re: Vox Amps Big vs. Small

Post by paologregorio »

jdawe wrote:Robert -- while some may see this as heretical,you may also want to consider recording directly to a computer with amp modeling software. The quality of the software has improved a lot in recent years, and while a real sound engineer in a real studio may still get better results miking a real amp, for home recording it works awfully well.
The modeling amp software I've heard sound pretty killer, and they're a lot easier to carry around and mic up . . . live's a different story, of course, but. . ..
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
8mileshigher

Vox Amps Big vs. Small

Post by 8mileshigher »

larsongs wrote: CC stands for Custom Classic series. The AC15CC1 uses the VOX / Wharfedale custom GSH1230-16 speaker. It was a few hundred dollars less. To me personally it sounded harsh. So, I sprung for the more expensive one. The AC15CC1X with Alnico Blue sounded light years better to me. It is worth the extra dough to get that Tone.

Good luck,

Glenn
Speaker choice probably depends what genre of music you like and the tone you hear in your head.

There are also folks who advocate the "Grog Mod" in an AC-30 with one Celestion Blue and one Wharfie for the speaker configuration, combining the best of both worlds ... the chime of the Alnico Blue and the bolder, beefier sound of the ceramic magnet Wharfie.

My CC2 came stock with the two Wharfs and I scored a couple of English made Celestion Blues on Craig's List from a guy who was going for less chime in his life cause the new band he was in, was going in a different music direction and I switched the speakers out.

I just recently read a book that has been around for years "The Vox Story" co authored by Dick Denny, the original design engineer at Jennings Musical Industries. Interesting stuff how they tweaked these Vox amps to get "the sound."
Attachments
Side view of my AC-30 at SCARF with the English Alnico Blues
Side view of my AC-30 at SCARF with the English Alnico Blues
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

8mileshigher wrote:
larsongs wrote: CC stands for Custom Classic series. The AC15CC1 uses the VOX / Wharfedale custom GSH1230-16 speaker. It was a few hundred dollars less. To me personally it sounded harsh. So, I sprung for the more expensive one. The AC15CC1X with Alnico Blue sounded light years better to me. It is worth the extra dough to get that Tone.

Good luck,

Glenn
Speaker choice probably depends what genre of music you like and the tone you hear in your head.

There are also folks who advocate the "Grog Mod" in an AC-30 with one Celestion Blue and one Wharfie for the speaker configuration, combining the best of both worlds ... the chime of the Alnico Blue and the bolder, beefier sound of the ceramic magnet Wharfie.

My CC2 came stock with the two Wharfs and I scored a couple of English made Celestion Blues on Craig's List from a guy who was going for less chime in his life cause the new band he was in, was going in a different music direction and I switched the speakers out.

I just recently read a book that has been around for years "The Vox Story" co authored by Dick Denny, the original design engineer at Jennings Musical Industries. Interesting stuff how they tweaked these Vox amps to get "the sound."
The Vox Amp subject is almost infinite, maybe it is infinite! There are so many great Vox Amps from all Ages & Places. No two set's of Hand's are alike hence no two Sounds are exactly alike. So many possibilities. One guy can sound great on one Amp & another guy can sound great on another. I think you gotta find the one that fit's you. Unless, you are a Prodigy and I know a couple guys who come close. They sound great on anything. Even complete junk.

Thanks,

Glenn
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

I never really got to know a Vox amp and how good it sounds till I played through Rich's at SCARF. I was playing Dan Saifer's 1997 reissue through it, and for a change, I could hear myself. Mike Snow left it on the settings when he was playing it, and it was a little dirty, perfect for the songs I was playing. An AC-30 with Celestion Blues is a perfect match for a Ric. Paulie's HW2 and Steve F's newer handwired sounded excellent, too. I will get a Vox AC-30 one day, before I turn 30.

I would think Greenbacks are a vast improvement over the Wharfdales it originally came with, but I can't be sure. *I* have read good things about Greenbacks.

There is ONE man who I know can give his best opinions on Vox amps: PAGING KENNY HOWES
larsongs

Post by larsongs »

JakeK wrote:I never really got to know a Vox amp and how good it sounds till I played through Rich's at SCARF. I was playing Dan Saifer's 1997 reissue through it, and for a change, I could hear myself. Mike Snow left it on the settings when he was playing it, and it was a little dirty, perfect for the songs I was playing. An AC-30 with Celestion Blues is a perfect match for a Ric. Paulie's HW2 and Steve F's newer handwired sounded excellent, too. I will get a Vox AC-30 one day, before I turn 30.

I would think Greenbacks are a vast improvement over the Wharfdales it originally came with, but I can't be sure. *I* have read good things about Greenbacks.

There is ONE man who I know can give his best opinions on Vox amps: PAGING KENNY HOWES
I played one of the new AC15C1's with the Greenbacks. Didn't think I was going to like it but, I did. They sound quite good. Not the Blues but good. Alot of Amp for the money. About $500.00 I think. If I was looking for an inexpensive Vox Amp I would not rule it out. You could always Mod it out later with Blues like North Coast Music does. In fact, I might just do that. I really like the features that Amp has that my AC15CC1X with Alnico Blue doesn't have.

Thanks,

Glenn
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

JakeK wrote:There is ONE man who I know can give his best opinions on Vox amps: PAGING KENNY HOWES
I'm slightly out of the loop on the latest batch of Voxes.

Actually, when I saw the title of this thread, I thought we were going to talk about SuperBeatles versus AC4s...
jfine
Professional Player

Post by jfine »

Jake--you'd better get an AC30 before you turn 30--after 30, you won't be able to lift it! :) Heaviest 30-watt amp ever. They do sound great, though.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

I've got a 1993 Korg reissue AC30 that I have had since new. The only problem I have ever had with it was that the original Celestion Blue speakers ghost noted quite a bit. I doped the edges as Ted Weber recommended and they sound perfect now. The amp was a revelation to me when I first got it as I had been playing 80's Rivera era Fenders with my RIC 230 and hated my tone. I've used the amp for recordings, playing around the house, and playing live. I've played clean jangle pop stuff, alternative stuff, and blues things through it and it works for all, though for blues things, I think Fender based stuff works better. Anyway, since mine doesn't have a master volume or half power switch like the new ones, it makes it harder to get the tones you want at volume. It is often too loud for certain types of gigs, and is a very heavy amp. I've compared it to a vintage 1964 AC30 with Blues in it, and it held it's own. I will never get rid of it, but now that I can build my own amps, I have built some things that give me more versatility for live playing and still sound good.

For someone who isn't gigging large venues and just plays at home or small gigs, the AC15 is the better choice. Stick a Celestion Blue in it and you are good to go. The AC15HW is a really nice amp and I would spring for that before I would get a CC but YMMV.

Greg
funkapus

Post by funkapus »

Hi. I'm a newb who's amp shopping. I've read this thread with interest, but it's left me a bit perplexed. I'm trying to figure out what amps to go out and demo; and for months, I've heard everywhere that I should consider the AC30. However, through this thread and others like it elsewhere on the net, I've read:

- that the AC30 needs to be turned up fairly loud to really take advantage of how sweet its tone is;
- that you really need the Alnico Blue speakers in the AC30 for it to shine, and most AC30 models don't have them (so my chances of demo'ing them are poor);
- that the AC30 weighs about 70 pounds.

I'm not a gigging musician -- not on electric anyway -- and the volume and weight we're talking about seems like overkill for my rowhouse living room. So what about the AC15? The impression I get here is:

- that the tone is nice, but not as nice as a driven AC30;
- that, just like the AC30s, you really want the Alnico Blue speakers, but they're no longer an option for the AC15s (although at least one place is modding the AC15 and selling them with those speakers; but unless you live there, that means not demo'ing it before buying).

Compounded is the fact that after googling and reading a bunch, I'm still not quite sure what "Brilliance" and "Top Boost" are in the context of this discussion (I'm a little embarrassed I haven't figured this out; I am a physicist after all :) ).

One reason the AC30 appealed to me as an amp to try is because it was not only highly recommended for Rickenbackers, but for other guitars as well (I read a discussion indicating it was a fantastic amp for Telecasters). Is the AC15 typically as versatile?

Any edification here would be much, much appreciated. Thanks!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

funkapus wrote:Hi. I'm a newb....I am a physicist after all :) ).
Welcome, Chris! :D

We have to get you and our resident chemist together! 8)
8mileshigher

Vox Amps Big vs. Small

Post by 8mileshigher »

funkapus wrote:Hi. I'm a newb who's amp shopping. I've read this thread with interest, but it's left me a bit perplexed. I'm trying to figure out what amps to go out and demo; and for months, I've heard everywhere that I should consider the AC30. However, through this thread and others like it elsewhere on the net, I've read:

- that the AC30 needs to be turned up fairly loud to really take advantage of how sweet its tone is;
- that you really need the Alnico Blue speakers in the AC30 for it to shine, and most AC30 models don't have them (so my chances of demo'ing them are poor);
- that the AC30 weighs about 70 pounds.
Chris -- re your first point about turned up fairly loud for best tone ---- that was the situation with older AC 30's. However the CC series produced in the early part of this decade, and the current C series and the VR series have Master Volume controls (and some models have seperate Gain controls too), so you can get the break-up and tube distortion that you want, without blowing the neighbors out of house and home. Other people have installed attenuators onto older AC-30 models too.

Re your second point about Alnico Blues, as some have said, speaker choice is very subjective. There are several hundred postings over on the Vox company Forum and on the Vintage Amps Forum and several other gear places on the topic of which Vox-supplied speakers are best ---- Wharfies, Greenbacks or Blues ?? For every guitarist out there, each will have a preferance for valid reasons. And then there is/was a huge debate over Celestion Blues manufactured at the China factory vrs. the England factory and complaints that Vox was misleading customers. Are any places selling used gear in your area, where you can test out different era Vox amps with different speakers ? I recommend to check out some of these other Forums.... for info on specific amp models and there are lots of mods detailed, that people perform on Vox amps, in the quest of perfection.

Re your third point,there are a couple of solutions.... get an AC-30 head and seperate speaker box to lessen the weight of each or eat your Wheaties or hire a Roadie ! :lol: :lol: :lol: There are also AC-30 combos with a single speaker, so that will drop the weight by 10 or 12 pounds.

There are folks who complain about this or that aspect of an AC-30 (for being old fashioned or poorly designed or over heating or too heavy or what-not ....) but the reason they have such a following, after approx fifty years, is because nothing else gives you quite that same desired tone. :wink:
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

This website is costing me money. Just bought an AC15C1 today. Was hoping to wait for the AC15 Twin this fall, but I probably couldn't lift it. Only played it at low volumes and the test will be next week with the band. So far it sounds really good!
Halbert

Post by Halbert »

rkbsound wrote: Just bought an AC15C1 today. Was hoping to wait for the AC15 Twin this fall, but I probably couldn't lift it.
Welcome to the club. Same model I got. Its my favorite out of all the amps I've owned. 8)
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

Folkie wrote:My current rig is a solid state Fender Princeton Chorus, and I've been happy with it. But the AC15 has much more brightness and sparkle, and from what I've heard here, I can only imagine how much better the AC30 might sound. But keep in mind that I'm not currently a gigging musician.
I could have written that exact paragraph three years ago. I was in EXACTLY the same situation as you:
- have a Fender Princeton Chorus (only amp I played through for twenty years)
- looking for an AC30 or AC15
- not a gigging musician
Well, three years later here's the results and perhaps my similar experience can help you.

The AC15 was eliminated quickly. If I was going to get me a VOX, then I was going for the big legendary guy. You want a classic Mustang, do you buy a Mustang or the Mustang II? The AC30 was quickly my choice and the key was the Master Volume. I knew the sucker was going to be freight train loud, but the Master Volume made me see I can have good control over what I play. (And the Master Volume does work well. I can get clean sparkle at low volumes AND grit at low volumes. I admit the grit sounds better at high volumes, but at low volume it is still pretty good.)

So I bought a brand new AC30 CC2 at a fantastic price (not much more than an AC15) and have had it for nearly three years now. Here's the part you may not like to hear. You say you play through a Fender Princeton Chorus and you "can only imagine how much better the AC30 might sound." Well, it doesn't. I started using my AC30 and I couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't giving me the sparkle and brightness I was expecting. I was perplexed and and even angry. The AC30 was sparkly and jangly, but not at a jaw dropping level I was hoping. So I posted my thoughts onto a forum and a guy responded with something very interesting. He said, and I paraphrase, "Of course your new Vox won't knock you out. You've been playing through a Fender Princeton Chorus for twenty years. That amp is among the brightest amps out there; and after twenty years of using that amp your ears are so accustomed to that Fender Princeton Chorus sparkle." He was right. I realized that my Princeton Chorus is very hard to beat for jangle, and my new Vox AC30 was really no match for it. My Rickenbacker simply sounds better in my solid state Princeton Chorus than in my Vox AC30.

Now that is something you have to keep in the back of your mind. Because you have been playing through a Fender Princeton Chorus, you may not get a "Eureka" reaction to a new Vox in your home. Yeah, I love my AC30 (my Telecaster and Strat sound a billion times better in the Vox than the Fender), but I LOVE my Princeton Chorus. I have played it so long that its sound is MY sound. You can hand me a VOX that The Beatles themselves played and I would probably prefer my Princeton. The Fender Princeton Chorus is a great amp and it sure does sparkle and jangle on the level of a Vox....you may find it does it even better. Keep that in mind. Your Vox may not blow you away because you already have one of the brightest, ''sparkliest" amps out there.
treewalker

Post by treewalker »

Vintage AC50, most versatile amp to have in your closet. Killer guitar and bass amp.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”