Rickenbacker 900/950

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

ricksrick11

Rickenbacker 900/950

Post by ricksrick11 »

I was interested in knowing what these guitars sound like. They have a short scale and no sound hole, so I would imagine they sound similar to a 325. Anyone know or care to post a video on youtube? There are literally none on there which is a shame.

I also saw the model with only one pickup and it had a pickup selector. What is with that?
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Rickenbacker 900/950

Post by jdogric12 »

The ones with a 2-way are a kind of bass boost (up to '63, I think). The ones with 3-way ('64 fwd IIRC) are three positions: tone all the way up, tone all the way down, and tone knob in play.

They sound like spanky little 325's. There is a pretty significant difference in the sound of alder ones (again, -->'63 IIRC) versus maple ones ('64 fwd, IIRC).

If you can get your hands on RickResource Forum CD Volume 1, my song (He Showed Up in May, She Left in June) features a 1000 on the solo. The 1000 sounds a little different since its pu is in the middle position rather than at the bridge like a 900.

Love me some tulips!!!
ricksrick11

Post by ricksrick11 »

There is a pretty significant difference in the sound of alder ones (again, -->'63 IIRC) versus maple ones ('64 fwd, IIRC).
The one I'm looking at is a November '63 so that'd make it alder I guess. What are the tonal differences between the two types of wood?
ricksrick11

Post by ricksrick11 »

I just won the 1964 900 on ebay. This will be my first Rickenbacker. The guy that sold it to me said that the intonation needed to be adjusted. Does anyone know how action adjustment and intonation work on this bridge?
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Post by Ivan3000 »

ricksrick11 wrote:I just won the 1964 900 on ebay. This will be my first Rickenbacker. The guy that sold it to me said that the intonation needed to be adjusted. Does anyone know how action adjustment and intonation work on this bridge?
Congrats!
I love shortscale instruments. :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Whether it's '63 or '64 will make a big difference. If it's alder, it will be much lighter and have far less sustain. Otherwise, maple, sustain. Bridges are fixed on these so there is not much you can do. Shoot me detailed pics and I'll help you assess. PM sent re email.
ricksrick11

Post by ricksrick11 »

jdogric12 wrote:Whether it's '63 or '64 will make a big difference. If it's alder, it will be much lighter and have far less sustain. Otherwise, maple, sustain. Bridges are fixed on these so there is not much you can do. Shoot me detailed pics and I'll help you assess. PM sent re email.
I can post some pics up on here when the guitar gets here. It will arrive here on the 14th or the 15th. What I am hoping is that the guy has a set of normal gauge strings on the guitar which would cause the incorrect intonation. From the few pictures I have seen of the bridge close up it looks like there are two holes on either side of the bridge and the bridge is floating. These aren't for bridge adjustment? Thanks for the information so far guys. I'll most likely put a video up on youtube demoing the guitar seeing as one does not exist.
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Congrats, Joe!

The bridge should look like this one on my 450v63:
P9290012.JPG
If the height adjustment screws are missing, the holes may have been stripped.

BTW, it would not surprise me that the guitar will come with the wrong gauge strings that are the cause for lack of correct intonation, as I have seen this more than once with short scale Rickenbackers that i have bought.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”