Warped back on a Ric

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

johnv
Veteran RRF member

Warped back on a Ric

Post by johnv »

Has anyone ever seen a 360/370 series 12 string with a warped back? Center of back is 3/16" higher than outer edges of guitar. Would this be a serious structural issue? Thanks.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

How old is this guitar?

These instruments have been made several ways over the years.

Although the exterior looks pretty much the same ,the structure of the inside has changed.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
johnv
Veteran RRF member

Post by johnv »

Hi Mark, Made in 1989. Looks like the top is slightly concave also. Thanks
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Lay a straight edge across the back ,measure the gap at the tailpiece end ...hold the straight edge on the binding so it touched the center of the body .That should give you a good indication of warpage.
grsnovi
Veteran RRF member

Post by grsnovi »

Since I had my 360/12 "open" today, I'm going to guess that if I had to make these, the top would be routed from a solid piece with the back glued on. So, cutting in from the back, the cavities are cut - leaving a chunck under the pickup area which has a less deep cavity towards the tail end. The top is also run through a shaping mill taking down the pickup cavities, the cats eye and the contoured area around the tailpiece.

I'd assume if the back was slightly warped it wouldn't "hurt" the structure of the top/shell which is the primary structure of the instrument.

Of course, it'd be best to see the instrument before making a judgement.
johnv
Veteran RRF member

Post by johnv »

Hi Mark, Gap is 1/8" at tailpiece end, but when you measure perpendicular to the centerline of the guitar the gap is 3/16" at the widest part of the lower bouts. Almost looks like the back of an acoustic guitar with a 15' or 20' radius. Anything to worry about? Thanks
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Well the 1960's guitars are prone to this and the bad ones have the bridge touching the bridge plate ...meaning there is NO height adjustment left.

The real give away is that the neck pickup is higher off the face than the bridge pickup.

Those are or will be a problem.

This does seem to be a Rick 12string disease.I don't know if there is a definitive cure or fix.
I do know that the only way to try to fix it is to change the way it has been made and that surely has been done .

The ultimate answer...?

I have no idea on solution .You just try and make the outside look the same while playing with the inside .I know that has been done .

Just be aware that it is happening ...All guitars do this to one degree or another .Even Les Paul's.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”