Question about wiring a humbucker

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

nukebass
Veteran RRF member

Question about wiring a humbucker

Post by nukebass »

A few of the previous posts about putting a humbucker in a 4001 have inspired me to do the same, especially since I think the treble pickup in my 4001 is pretty much dead. I am acquiring all of the parts I need for the project and have a couple of questions regarding the wiring. I am planning on using 500K pots for the treble pickup tone and volume and am wondering what it will do to the sound if I leave the stock pots in for the neck pickup. I have a 79 4001 with a newer model toaster in the neck. I'm thinking it shouldn't matter too much, but wanted to make sure.

I'm also thinking of trying to do the split coil option. Pick of the Ricks sells a push/pull pot that is listed as 500K while the similar pot on Rickenbacker site is listed at 330K. If the one at Pick of the Ricks is the right one to use, I would like to use it because it is a solid shaft and I wouldn't have to worry about getting a solid cap for the normal split shaft.

Last question: Should I use shielded wire or will non-shielded wire work for this?

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”